Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:31 AM   #1

Last week I was at our local flea market and found this lens on a table, along with the camera body and a 35-80 lens. I picked it up and examined it, to find it was in absolute mint condition. I asked him how much, and he told me $15.00. So I bought it. I had read some not-so-favorable reviews so I was a bit skeptical, but for 15 bucks I wasn't too worried. Any way, I took it out and took a few shots and here they are. Tell me what you think, I can handle it :blah:

First shot, my daughter-in-law wide open at 70mm,1/60 sec,iso 100, no flash

Next one, my wife feeding my grand daughter, f5, 1/60sec, iso 100, 85mm, no flash

This is a silhouette of my dog 1/400 sec, wide open at 75mm, iso 100, no flash

My pup, 210mm, f11, 1/60 sec iso 200, no flash

A wild Tangerine (yes I picked a few, they were delicious) 1/125 sec, f5, 100mm, iso 100, on board flash.

Any how, I'm still looking for a beercan locally and for a decent price, at which time I shall retire this one, In the meantime, I will test it further as I get time. I have to say I expected a real dog after reading user reviews, and I don't see the justification. Or am I not picky enough?
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:29 PM   #2

I would say for $15 you got a bargain. Pictures look fine to me. The beercan is a better lens. I have 2 of them and will putting one up for sale soon. It has a stuck aperture but can be repaired for about $100 by any competent repair shop. I haven't decided whether to get it fixed before I sell it or to sell it as is. The Minolta 70-210 4.5-5.6 is not a bad lens but when compared to the beercan it falls short. For $15 however it's a real bargain. C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:42 PM   #3

Yeah, this lens is a little plasticky feeling. I have been looking for the f/4 locally, since I hate buying a used lens sight unseen, as well as the fact they are selling for obscene prices online. I've watched a few on ebay that sold for under $150, but that is about my spending limit for that lens. Thanks for the feedback,CW. Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 4:35 AM   #4

I think you got a real good deal for $15, as for the f4 version, just wait, if you look at ebay, those that are asking the high prices are not selling now. Times are tough and money is tight. prices will drop.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote