Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:47 AM   #1

Hi I've been looking around at lens' on the internet and I've been looking at a seagull lens just wondering if the seagull lens would be compatible with a100 & a900 ?

I have been looking everywhere on the internet and there is nowhere that spells out what seagull is compatible with so I was hoping someone here would let me know??

cheers
Rubyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:14 AM   #2

Alrighty I did some more researching and I think I have found my answer...Please correct me if I am wrong though as I would like it if I am, and everthing in the photography world worked in harmony

the lens I was looking at was a seagull MD 24mm F2.8 superwide angle

so since it's a MD Bayonet mount I would need an adapter for it to work with my alpha, but then things are gone like auto exposure and others...I've never used a lens with an adapter so not too sure what I will find missing that I rely on...

I'm in my 2nd yr of photography tertiary study, so don't really have any money coming in, I don't have a wideangle and would love one and I could get this and adapter for $190NZD which is maybe $100USD? haha no total guess with the conversion... but anyway I just would like a second opinion on if it's worth it or should I just be good and save money for a new sony wideangle?

sorry for the rambling :roll:
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:28 AM   #3

All adapters that will mate a Minolta (or Seagull) manual focus lens to a Minolta or Sony autofocus camera are also teleconverters. That will have the effect of reducing the angle of view of a lens. So if you want a wide angle lens, you should get a lens made for the A Mount.

The kit lens has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 27mm at it's wide end, which is fairly good for wide angle. If you want something wider, then, yes, you should save up for something like the Sony/Tamron 11-18 or Sigma 10-20 (neither of which will work on the A900) or the Sigma 12-24.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:28 PM   #4

ah yes thanks for that, I'm planning on buying the a900 in the next two years so I've got to be careful with what lens' I buy!