Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 1, 2008, 6:49 PM   #1

thoughts?

Attached Images

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:56 PM   #2

I like it.

There's no EXIF data in the image, so I don't know what the settings were, but notice that the whiskers on his chin are sharp as is his nose. But his left ear, his right cheek and the top of his head are soft. If you shot this at f/1.7, you might stop down a little to get more depth of field. Alternatively, you might focus on his eye instead of his nose.

Also, the white ballance might be off.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:59 PM   #3

thanks very much TCav! It was about the 5th photo i took with it so i am hoping that i get lots more opportunities to practice. so excited.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:04 PM   #4

Here's another one i took tonight. Self portrait while on the phone.

Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:52 PM   #5

Again, a minor problem with the depth of field. Notice that your face is in focus (though the lighting could be better) as are your shirt collar and three fingers of your hand, but the phone and your index finger are soft.

The 50/1.7 is a great lens, and fun to play with, but the depth of field thing takes some practice. You will also find that, in addition to stopping down,distance will give you more depth of field as well.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:37 PM   #6

yeah, i know what you mean! this is my first lens which gave me any motivation to play with A mode, so i wanted to take a few shots wide open to see what would happen! I am looking forward to taking shots of other people, which will allow me to get BEHIND the lens Thanks TCav, you're always a wealth of info!
Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:07 PM   #7

Since snagging my 50mm 1.7 for $50 last year (apparently right before everyone found out how awesome this lens is), I find myself going back to it again and again. I shoot most of my shots at airshows during the summer so I use the Bigma, but the 50mm stays on my camera the most.

I did a little testing and when I stop it down a little 2.8-3.5 it gets as sharp as my sensor can capture....now I just wish I had a macro.
MikeThinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:50 PM   #8

The 50/1.7 is an amazingly sharp lens, and with an extension tube or two, it makes a great macro lens as well.

I really like the flexibility I get with extension tubes. I've got a Sigma 90/2.8 Macro that I like, but someone talked about using a 12mm extension tube on a Beercan, so I tried it and I'm hooked.

Extension tubes need an especially sharp lens, and the 50/1.7 and the Beercan qualify, and once the tube(s) is in place, you can't focus much past a foot. But what a foot it is!