Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 3, 2008, 4:15 PM   #1

first attempt at bracketing .took 3 pics and used a program called photomatix pro to convert them , And then saved it as hdr .just out of interest .Not sure if there is any other software available to use with bracketing .i would be interested to know

let me know what you all think of the outcome.

taken with my sony a200 .sigma 90mm f2.8 lens ,iso 200, f11

Martin
Attached Images

linearamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2008, 5:55 PM   #2

G'day Martin,

Thought you would have many replies by now. I do not understand the technique but think it is an excellent picture of a beautiful place.

Great to see actual photos taken by Sony/Minolta gear on the forum. Makes a welcome change to the endless circle of lens questions and answers

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:06 AM   #3

What were the steps +/- The one downside I see to my A350 is that it will only do a .7 +/- automatically. If you want a +/- 2 I have to do it manually.

Jason

jalexand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:44 PM   #4

Jason

the setting on the a200 with bracketing is the same as the 350 .its a shame ,

as i liked the outcome of the photo .

i havent tried it manually as yet . Maybe give it a try .the photo above was my first attempt with bracketing .I might go back to the same location and try adjusting with manual +/- see what the results will be

thanks for the comments regarding the photo

Martin
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:48 AM   #5

That's a beauty!

I've played with the free trial Photomatix, and have been considering buying the proper version.There areHDR & Photomatix enthusiasts active in the 'Landscape Photos' forum.

What are the splodges on the sky? Raindrops?5 seconds with a big clone brush stamp would remove them.

Sadly, I have to go back to my last digicam but three to get to 5-step bracketing, which would be even more useful.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:48 AM   #6

i noticed the spots on the photo ..its dust on the sensor ...ive sorted that out now..im going back to the same spot today to try some different settings and more stops between shots .i will post the pic here hopefully later today

thanks for all comments regarding the photo

Martin
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:07 PM   #7

another hdr from same location using 50mm minolta lens, iso100, f11 converted with photomatix and cropped with ps elements.

used creative style vivid and upped the colour saturation .Also took 5 photos and used manual stops ,as bracketing stops on the alpha200 are only .7 steps

any comments appreciated

Martin
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:44 PM   #8

Wow, I like that. You said 5 shots, so does that mean each was one step +/- Ev. That is a very cool pictures. I need to post up one of mine first HDR's here. I just keep forgetting to do with when I have my big Mac running
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:52 PM   #9

Nice shots, linearamp! I prefer the first one, though.

I like Photomatix Pro, but like most photography programs I've used, the strengths of the choices that it offers are also its weaknesses! Photomatix offers so many different options that you can easily do five or six different versions of any particular photo and it can be real hard to determine which one is "best"!

There are numerous other HDR programs -- a few of them even freeware. One in particular that I'm thinking of costs less than half what Photomatix costs but does a really good job. Unfortuneately, I can't recall the name...But, a google for HDR programs will bring quite a few results.

I'd like to use the bracketing feature of my camera to shoot the source images for HDR, but it's old and slooow. The result is that I take my shots using the exposure compensation feature. Far less convenient than using auto bracketing, but it does the job. You might want to check out the steps that your camera's exposure compensation offers. You might be able to get exposure variances that are more to your liking. The downside is that you would have to use a tripod.

There's even a program that does the same thing for focus as HDR does for exposure. It combines multiple images shot at different focus points to come up with a single image with ridiculously high depth of field. Again, I can't remember the name...

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:59 PM   #10

Here is my first HDR shot. Taken with the kit 18-70mm and my A350. Exposure was metered with +/- 2 EV for a three shot total. Made with Photomatrix.

Jason

Attached Images