Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:34 PM   #1

I took JimC and TCav's advice and wait and wait and .... finally I got my copy today and the only thing I can said is WOW. This lens is just sharp and produce very nice color. Even indoor low light still very usable ( wide open compare with my minolta 28-75 2.8 on 70 and beat the minolta by 150000000000 miles, just kidding but it does beat the hell out of it ). When compare with my 2 beercans ( 70-210 and 75-300), none of them can hold up with the Tammy,even on color and bokeh. The Tammy just have that creamy bokeh. Thanks again Jimc and TCav, I never have a chance to put my hand on Minolta 70-200 or the sony one but I can live with this big Tammy and the only thing I have to do now is to get my hand stronger.... this lens is heavy. Oh, the push in pull out for MF/AF on the lens might be the only question for me, it looks like they will break durling the age. Thanks again for both of your's advice and Happy holidays. BTW Atlanta store will open on Feb,2009 and it is on Peachtree street.:-)

Chefkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:03 PM   #2

Congradulations!

So, when can you post something?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 4:58 PM   #3

We are joining the South Beach Food and Wine Festival, the event will be on Feb,2009 and will be on Food network. I will take some pictures there, also I will try to post some test pics on next week when my work slow down. I travel 6 days a week in FL and most of the time I use my cell phone for post and read email :-). When I get home next week I will post some pics. Thanks TCav.

Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:42 AM   #4

Hi, JimC and TCav

I just can not pass a deal yesterday. I pickup a Canon 5D with 24-104 f/4L and 50mm f/1.4, Battery grip,4 years no question asked warranty,and a Canon camera bag for an unbelievable price-less then a Alpha A700 body ( the 5D is just 3 months old with box and receipt ). I bough it after test shot and I think I love that camera even I did not know the whole menu setting, the viewfinder is a lot better than my A300. Now come up a problem, I don't want to say goodbye to my lovely A300 especially I have a lot of lenses ( mostly good one and good deals I got ) is it normal to use different system as a backup? or just completely switch to Canon? If I sold all my Minolta Gears, I think even the price was dropped little bit but I still can make money out of those Minolta lenses ( I got their at pretty good price but the New Tammy 70-200).So please advice and thanks a lot.

Best

Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:41 AM   #5

The Canon 5D is a great camera, and it sounds like you got a great deal.

Usinga different system as a backup means carrying around two sets of lenses, so it is more typical that someone would use second dSLR body that could use the same lenses as the first.

The 5D is a full frame dSLR, while the A300 uses an APS-C image sensor. The lenses you bought with the 5D are very good wide-to-medium-telephoto lenses, which should work well for your restaurant work. But because of the smaller image sensor, the A300 might be better suited for telephoto stuff. If you wanted to keep both camera bodies, or you need a plan for easing into the 5D, you could divide the duties of each camera to wide angle/interiors to the 5D, and longer lens stuff to the A300.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:36 AM   #6

Thanks TCav, I believe if I only keep my A300 with some lenses it will still good enough for outdoor telephoto. I am not trying to show off my collection but I appreciate if you can help me again for choosing what lenses to keep. The Minolta lenses as follow:
200 /4 macro
100 /2.8 macro
50 /2.8 macro
100-400 apo
100 /2.8 soft
135 /2.8
50 /1.7 RS
28-75 /2.8
70-210 /4 beer can
75-300 /4.5-5.6 bear can
70-200 /2.8 Tamron
Please don't laugh at me , some lenses I bought because of the deal ( I only pay $800 for 200/4 and $200 for 28-75-new)
For the 5d I think I will need a fast 70-150mm lens for indoor ( sometimes I can't use flash-because of the guest in the restaurant), as I have no knowledge about Canon system.I need some direction on this too.

Thanks a lot

Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:15 AM   #7

Tough call.

I think you should send them all to me. I'll try them out, and return the ones I think you should keep.

Just kidding.

Your Canon lenses should work well for your restaurant work, but you may want a longer fast prime, like the Canon 85/1.8, for when the 50/1.4 isn't long enough and the 24-105/4 isn't fast enough.

So I think you should keep anything that can go longer than the Canon 24-105. As good as they are, the50/2.8 Macro, the 50/1.7 and the 28-75/2.8 are, more or less, superfluous. I don't know how much macro work you do, but you might hold onto the 50/2.8, if it has been useful. That is, until you can get an equivalent macro lens for the Canon.

Among your telephoto lenses, there's a lot of redundancy, so while you're at it, you could thin out that collection as well. The Tamron 70-200/2.8 makes the Beercan superfluous, and the 100-400 APO does the same for the Big Beercan. On the other hand, the 200/4 Macro and the 100/2.8 Soft are special, and you may want to hold onto them as long as you have an A Mount camera to hang them on.

Those are my thoughts anyway.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:36 AM   #8

Thanks a lot TCav, on the 5d I was thinking between 85/1.8 or 100/2. How do you think?
The way I said looking for fast 70-150mm because that's what I shooting on my A300, the DOF is different, so on a full frame camera I believe like you said 85mm or 100mm should do well. Thanks again.
Best.
I was doing those restaurant inventory in this moment. I might post some picture on this weekend if I don't have to travel again ( sometime I have to work 7 days a week ).

Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:54 AM   #9

They are both superb lenses. I couldn't tell you from personal experience, but it seems to me that, for what you'd use it for,the difference between 85mm and 100mm isn't so much that you couldn't make up for it by zooming with your feet. So I'd go for the slightly larger aperture of the 85/1.8.