Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1

Hello all,

I used to think that I knew what I was doing with a camera. I had a Pentax K1000 for a number of years with a couple of good lenses that I could play with and would produce pictures that I would enjoy. I moved to a Minolta 7000 for a while and then just gave it up for a while.

Now move forward 10 years and I'm getting back into it. Because I had a nice 70 to 300 from Minolta I decided to buy a the Sony Alpha 350. I got the two lens kit that they sell with the 18-70 and the 55-200. Neither of the lenses are very fast. I like to take photos in low light. I'm planning on taking a vacation in January and one of the things I like to do is to take night shots on streets.

There are a couple of prime lenses that Sony makes. Anyone have a suggestion for this kind of work.

Thanks
jason

jalexand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:02 AM   #2

Sony has a nice 50mm f/1.4, but its $350. Minolta used ot make a 50mm f/1.7 that Sony discontinued when it took over. It's quite nice and available for ~$100 on eBay or ~$150 at places like keh.com. I've got one and quite like it.

Minolta made a series of 85mm f/1.4 lenses that Sony discontinued and replaced with the current Zeiss. The Minolta lenses are available for ~$900.

There are also some Minolta 100mm f/2.0 lens available that go for ~$1,000.

Sony's selection of lenses is, shall we say, 'lean', when compared tolenses from Canon and Nikon,particularly so in the area of fast primes.

I use a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for indoor available light shots, with much sucess.

You didn't give any specifics about what you were looking for, so I hope this helps.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:40 AM   #3

B&H Used has one of the 50mm f/1.4 for $219. It's the 1985 version. Minolta made 3 versions, this is the first.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._4_Maxxum.html

AJ
AJ Gressette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:13 AM   #4

TCav,

What do you mean by "lean"

I have been looking at that 50mm f/1.4 and it gets very nice review. But I like to shoot street-spaces and outdoor night type light areas and I'm worried that the depth of filed on that 50mm might not be right for that type of work.

Jason

Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:17 AM   #5

Sony has a selection of 24 OEMlenses, while Canon has a selection of 48, as does Nikon. That's what I mean by "lean", though "sparse" would work as well.

If you want to shoot at night, you need any or all of large aperture (risking shallow depths of field). long exposure times (risking motion blur), and high ISO settings (risking noise.) Pick your compromise.

What do you wnat to shoot?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:59 PM   #6

Oh I see what you mean. So on a whim I went to one of the camera stores here in town that doesn't typically deal in Sony/Minolta cameras. But today I got lucky. I found the 50mm f/1.7 in their consignment counter for 85 dollars. Then I also found the "beercan" for 175. Both of them are now in my camera bag. I'm into shooting store fronts and neon so I think I'll be happy. For the price I couldn't go wrong.

Jason

Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:05 PM   #7

Those are good prices on great lenses. Good luck with them.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:04 AM   #8

Ok I've very happy with that 50mm f/1.7 That's a very good lens. Some quick and dirty work just playing with it in my basement while it snows again outside
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:09 AM   #9

A very nice shot, but perhaps a little more depth of field would be good. The fur on his (?) nose is sharp, but the fur on his head is soft.

Or perhaps if you focused on his eyes instead of his nose, his entire head would be within the depth of field.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 7:25 PM   #10

get a zeiss lens and youll have a serious low light setp.
scooptdoo is offline   Reply With Quote