Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:13 PM   #1

Hey all, so I was out hiking yesterday and was fortunate to be at the top of a mountain during sunset, the view was incredible and I was excited to get some pics of it but at the same time I have never shot sunsets before so I really didn't know what I was doing.

Shooting with an A700. Any tips on what settings I could try? Since I wasn't sure what to do I just set it to the 'sunset' mode on the dial. I didn't change any settings, but I did notice that on that setting the ISO is set to AUTO.
Would it be better to shoot in Aperture priority? or something else? Also I don't have a tripod yet but I need to invest in one.

Thanks for any tips!

and below are 2 photos that I think turned out ok using the 'sunset' mode.

Attached Images

firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:18 PM   #2

one more
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2008, 7:23 AM   #3

What I do when shooting in unfamiliar circumstances, I either shoot RAW or turn on exposure bracketing.

I like your shots, especially the second, but I noticed that the horizon is curved. Either your lens has significant barrel distortion near the middle of the frame, or the terrain was uniformly higher on both sides of the sunset. Would you tell us what lens you were using and whereyou were? Or is it possible that this happened in post processing?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:36 AM   #4

TCav, the lens I was using was just the kit 18-70 lens so nothing spectacular, so im sure that could have played a role in the barrel distortion. I hiked up a short mountain, maybe 1600 feet, in Oregon and thats where I was shooting from.
As for post processing, I didn't do anything to those images except resize them.

Thanks, shooting in RAW would have been good as well. I did take a few shots using exposure bracketing as well to test with.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:23 PM   #5

Try the "vivid" setting with saturation at +3.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote