Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:35 AM   #1

Besides the first being wider, and the latter being longer, any other considerations between the 2? Price between the 2 is similar.
robintrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:48 AM   #2

Besides the obvious difference in focal lengths, the 17-50 has more vignetting and optical distortion. In the grand scheme of things though, that's splitting hairs.

Also, the 17-50 is a "Di II", which means it only works on APS-C size image sensors. The 28-75 works on full frame bodies as well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:20 AM   #3

I am actually also thinking about getting one of those. Or perhaps both of them.

My question is... would I look stupid if get both of those lenses?
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 5:57 AM   #4

You will look like you're covering your bases. You will only look stupid if you need one and don't have it.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:55 AM   #5

To zoom in or zoom out, it is always best to use your feet.

That said, it is sometimes impossible to move closer or further away.

Which is more common for you,impossible to move closer or further away?

For me it is the moving further away. I can't stand in the middle of the highway to take a picture, I can't physically move walls... which means I need the wider angle over the bigger zoom range. AND I can always crop a bit and effectively zoom in when I need to do so.

Your situation may be totally different.

Secondly, how often do you want to change thelens? I know, it is not that hard, and if you are careful you can prevent dust from entering the camera body. But there still remains a question of how practical changing a lens on every other shot may be.

Third, do you really want to carry both lenses at all times. Way backin my early years when I was doing film I had a entire collection of lenses,teleconverters, filters and what nots. Know what I used? Basically one lens, a 70-200 zoom. I used that 70-200mm almostexclusively at 70-100 mm. Not exactly using the full range of lens. The only other lens I used at a significant rate was a short wide angle that I found never to be wide enough.

My advice? Get one lens (the 17-50) and use it. Find a real need for the other lens before you buy it. You might need it, especially if you can't move your feet enough, or you might not. I suspect if you need something more then the 75mm (112mm in 35mm speak) might not be long enough asthe difference in the two lenses (50 versus 75mm) is not usually enough to be helpful.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:15 PM   #6

Thank you for the suggestions.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 8:32 PM   #7

Again, thanks for the recommendation. I bought Tamron 17-50 F2.8 on 24th Dec. I really like this lens.

It was hard to get into any shopping centre and not every shop stocks Sony mount.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 9:33 PM   #8

Glad to hear it. I've had mine for about a year and a half so far, and I love it. And I'm not muchfor wide angle lenses either.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:42 PM   #9

I picked mine up in October and the 28-75 (Minolta Version) hasen't been on my camera since.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you're planning on staying with the APS-C format you may want to consider the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 rather than the 28-75 to complement your kit. I've heard a few good things about it.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote