Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:01 PM   #1

Hi I want to add one lens to my bag. I currently have SAL 18-70 and Sal 75-300.

So which one would be best to get.

Minolta 35-80 F4-5.6 II , Minolta 35-70 F4, Minolta 35-70 F3.5-4.5 I or even Minolta 35-105 F3.5-4.5 I.

Which one of this, can be considered a "Must have" ?

PS: and how much is fair price for the 50mm/1.7 and the beercan 70-210/4?

Thanks.
cybermaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:54 PM   #2

Check out the user reviews at Dyxum.com:

Minolta 35-80 F4-5.6 II

Minolta 35-70 F4

Minolta 35-70 F3.5-4.5 I

Minolta 35-105 F3.5-4.5 I

First, they're all pretty good lenses, and have received much higher ratings than the kit 18-70 you've already got.The 35-105 received the highest rating, followed by the 35-70/4 which also has a macro function that many find useful. I would stay away from the 35-80/4.0-5.6 because it's too dim for my taste.

Many 50/1.7 lenses have been going for <$100 lately, and Beercans have been going for <$200. These are less than they were going for only a few months earlier, so now's a good time to get ahold of them.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:01 AM   #3

The definition of "Must have" depends on what you shoot. All these lenses start at a focal length of 35mm (35mm film equivalent of 52.5mm) which would be calleda 'Normal' lens. But their long end varies. A 70mm focal length (35mm film equivalent of 105mm) wouldmake themgood portrait lenses if the maximum apertures were larger. A 105mm focal length (35mm film equivalent of 157.5mm) is too long for portraits and too short for much else.

In their day, these lenses were moderate wide angle to moderate telephoto zoom lenses on 35mm film SLRs, and were quite good and quite popular. But today, they're just moderate telephoto zooms. Where their ranges overlap, they're better than the lenses you've got, but if you don't already shoot anything in that range, then they'll just take up space in your camera bag.

The only lens in this group that I think would suppliment what you've got, is the 35-70/4 because of its macro capability.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:02 AM   #4

Thank you very much for your post.

I guess i will go with the 35-105 it also has macro switch.. But what i found is that magnification (1.4) is not greater than the 18-70.. But it has better optics. What do you think about the raynox DCR-250 or 150 I would like to add this also to get better macros.

Right now I can't afford a dedicated macro lens. and I lost my chance on a minolta 50mm f2.8 macro on ebay ! it went for 56 bucks the only problem was just manual focus, the AF wasn't working.
cybermaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:18 AM   #5

cybermaniak wrote:
Quote:
What do you think about the raynox DCR-250 or 150 I would like to add this also to get better macros.
Not a good idea. Even a good add-on lens will add optical elements to an already complex optical system, and will degrade the image quality. And I would hesitate to call the Raynox DCR-250 or 150"Good".

If you want to get deep into macrophotography on a budget, you can use extension tubes. They increase the distance between the lens and the image sensor, thereby decreasing the minimum focusing distance, they don't contain any optical elements, so they don't degrade image quality, and they're relatively cheap. Kenko makes some good ones, available individually or in a set. They also make some less expensive ones for house brands, but I've read that they aren't very good.