Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 16, 2008, 2:49 PM   #11

TCav wrote:
Quote:
If you're happy with your Canon XSI, why would you recommend a Sony? If your buddy has an XSi, then you can help him to use it, and maybe learn a few things yourself. And you can each buy different lenses, and share them ocassionally.
Trust me... this is one of the first thoughts that crossed my mind when his wife asked for my advice.

My rationale behind recommending the Sony is based on a conversation we had a few months earlier, when I was shopping for my own DSLR. I'd narrowed my choices to the Canon XSi, the Sony A350 and the Nikon D80. We were talking about buying cameras at the same timein the hopes of getting a deal at the local electronics store. And he seemed partial to theSony because of themoving screen and user-friendly live view. He ended up having to pull the plug on his purchase and I went ahead and bought my XSi.

So I'm recommending the Sony merely because I think he'd like it better than the Canon. His primary subjects would be his two toddlers and I was thinking the moving LCD would come in handy for short people in action.

Also, the A300 is significantly less expensive than the Canon, and his wife was a little scared of the $900 XSi price tag.

Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 4:00 PM   #12

The A300 is currently for sale with the standard 18-70 kit lens for $449 Canadian locally at Best Buy. You can add the standard 75-300 kit lens for another $129.99 CAD. What a deal!

I don't like its' viewfinder. Like looking down a tunnel and after using the EVF on my FZ20 that was one area I wanted to address in my next camera.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:41 PM   #13

I'd like to remind everyone that the Sony 75-300 isn't a very good lens. The Tamron 70-300 Di LD and the Sony 55-200 are better choices.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:57 PM   #14

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to remind everyone that the Sony 75-300 isn't a very good lens. The Tamron 70-300 Di LD and the Sony 55-200 are better choices.
When you say that it's not a very good lens, do you mean that it's a rip-off to buy the A300 as a package that includes this lens? If the 55-200mm is not an option.

Also, can you recommend a prime lens that's reasonably priced and would work well taking indoor portraits of children? Or is the 18-70mm kit lens good enough (with only built-in flash)?

Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:35 PM   #15

Boldstar wrote:
Quote:
When you say that it's not a very good lens, do you mean that it's a rip-off to buy the A300 as a package that includes this lens? If the 55-200mm is not an option.
On the Sony Style website, the two lens kit for the A300 is $50 more than the one lens kit. The two lens kit for the A350 is $100 more than the one lens kit. I think $50 is a reasonable price for the 75-300, but it can be found on eBay for less than $100, so the two lens kit for the A350 is too expensive.

The Sony 75-300 is not a very good lens. It is soft throughout its zoom range and has significant chromatic aberration starting at 200mm and getting worse at longer focal lengths. The 55-200 is a much better lens. If you can get the 75-300 for $50, you can use it in emergencies, and when you want to replace it, you can sell it on eBay and make a profit.

Boldstar wrote:
Quote:
Also, can you recommend a prime lens that's reasonably priced and would work well taking indoor portraits of children? Or is the 18-70mm kit lens good enough (with only built-in flash)?
When Sony took over Konica Minolta's camera division, they discontinued the 50/1.7, but there are lots available on eBay for less than $100. It is a great lens for available light work, and while it might not be long enough for a child's portrait lens, it would work well for a child's environmental portrait.

I don't use flash myself, but I have seen some nice results that people have gotten with the Sony kit lens and an external flash. But the built-in flash doesn't bounce, and isn't very strong. I couldn't tell you if it would work well or not, but I suspect not.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:56 PM   #16

I have the A300 with the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 and I am very happy with it. The live view feature basically works just like a point and shoot, unlike all the other DSLR live views (Canon/Nikon).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The sensor on the A300 is great, you really don't "need" the 14mp IMO. And the slightly faster frame rate of the A300over the A350is a plus.

As for Sony vs the other comparible ones, the Sony can use Minolta Maxxum lenses, which I think is a huge plus vs the competition.
Raistlin_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:35 PM   #17

Hi, Think I just need some last bits of advice before I purchase a camera. I've decided to go for one of the sony alpha mainly becuase of generally positive reviews and comments and being quite a bit cheaper the its Canon etc rivals.

I decided I would like the live view so its the A300 or A350. Now here is my dilemma. The price difference between the two is £50 pound. Not huge but I still think £50 pound is a lot of money and don;t want to spend it when I don.t need to or get something that is worse more noise on A350).

But here is the other differnece. With the A350 I also get an extra years warranty taking it up to 2 years, a free Samsonite DF50 colt carry case and free table tripod. Now I've hardly ever had to use a warranty on anything but an extra year for nothing is always good. The tripod is not major concern but would be good to have a play with. The Samsonite case is probably not brilliant, it retails for between £15 and £30 pounds, but obviously i will want a case of some sort and this seems adequate. So technically i would have to spend at least another £15 pound to buy a case if i got the A300 so arguably that brings the cost difference to £35ish.

So to summarise my options are

A300 camera and lens - £300

A350 camera and lans, Extra year warranty (total 2 years), free samsonite carry case, free table tripod. - £350.

Having read reviews because of the 14 pixel resoloution u get slightly mrore noise, tho on the camera labs website it says this is only very slightly so not sure if this should be an issue for to consider?

Anyway, what do people think, what would you personally go for?
hearing_aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:02 PM   #18

I'm a big fan of available light photography, but I use large aperture lenses when I need to, so I don't use high ISO settings so I'm not worried about noise.

I do a lot of shooting in continuous mode. The A300 shoots 3 frames per second, but the A350 only does about 2.5 fps. The difference between 10MP and 14MP isn't much, but, for me at least, the difference between 3fps and 2.5 fps would swing it for me, even if they were the same price.

But it depends on what's important to you.

I would not consider the bundle seriously. The camera case may be more trouble than it's worth (what do you do with it when you're using the camera?) and the tripod is a toy.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:12 PM   #19

hearing_aid wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, what do people think, what would you personally go for?
What's the camera case like? I mean, will it be something you can grow with as you buy new lenses, filters, external flash units? Would you buy that particular case if it wasn't included?

In my opinion the table tripod is somewhat useless. I guess it'd be a neat doodad for a point-and-shoot camera, but you'll likely have to buy a real tripod at somepoint.

Personally I'd go for the A300 and spend the extra money on the case I wanted, a tripod and maybe a polarizing filter.

Sorry, I don't have an opinion about the warranty. (I'm tempted to think that if anything serious wasgoing to happenit'd go wrong sooner than later, but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.)

Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:46 AM   #20

hearing_aid wrote:
Quote:
... With the A350 I also get an extra years warranty ...
Who's the extra warranty with? Sony or the store?

If it's with Sony, I might give it some consideration (not a lot, but some.)

If it's with the store, I wouldn't give it any consideration whatsoever.