Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 16, 2008, 9:59 AM   #1

I mean, besides the 10MP vs. 14MP?
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:06 AM   #2

Nope.

The A200, A300, and A350 are all built on a common chassis and a common feature set. The only notable difference between the A200 and the others is the 'Live View' and the only notable difference between the A350 and the others is the 14MP image sensor.

The 14MP image sensor has a higher pixel density, which means a higher potential for image noise at higher ISO settings, but that goes with the territory.

Another difference is that the A350 is available without the 18-70 kit lens. This lens isn't great, and the 14MP image sensor makes its shortcomings more apparent, so whatever lenses you choose, they should be better than average or the flaws will be pronounced.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:23 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply TCav.

I'm actually helping a buddy's wife pick out a Christmas gift here. He'd be making the transition from P&S to DSLR, and I read that the Sony A-series cameras are the easiest to use. I also thought the "live view" and variable angle LCD screen would add a little to the fun factor. And these cameras seem to be very reasonably priced, when compared to similar Nikons and Canons.

If you have a different suggestion, I'm all ears (or eyes).

Regarding the lens, is it any worse than other kit lenses that come with entry-level DSLRs (i.e., the 18-55mm IS and VR versions that come with the Canons and Nikons, respectively)?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:17 AM   #4

"I also thought the "live view" and variable angle LCD screen would add a little to the fun factor:

Keep in mind that the live view comes at the expense of a "lesser" viewfinder. Having handled all of them, the a200 wins for me since I do not want/need the higher pixel density (unless I went to the a700 with the better cmos sensor) and I prefer the eye relief and overall feel of the chassis without the live view.

"Regarding the lens, is it any worse than other kit lenses that come with entry-level DSLRs (i.e., the 18-55mm IS and VR versions that come with the Canons and Nikons, respectively)?"

It depends on who you ask. You get a little bit more reach with it then the standard nikon or canon offering, and right now for %50 bucks or so more almost everywhere is throwing in either the 55-200 or 75-300 along with the kits. The biggest thing is going to be that the sony body is stabilized so any lens you use will benefot from that. With the Canon and Nikons, you have to rely on stabilized lenses, which often cost more, and in the current 2 lens deals generally only the standard kit lens has this feature. This is another reason I went to the Sony.

jdonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:45 AM   #5

Yes. The Canon and Nikon stabilized kit lenses are better than the Sony kit lens. The A300 isn't available without the kit lens, and the A350 deserves something like the Zeiss 16-80, theSony 24-105 or 16-105, or some good third party lenses like the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5, none of which are cheap. A decent A350 kit is going to cost a lot more than just the camera.

I think the A300 is a good choice, but if your buddy will be shooting sports, he might be better off with the Canon XSi because the autofocus system is better for that. It's 12MP andhas 'Live View', but not on an articulated display like the Sony, and the optical viewfinder is better.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:10 PM   #6

Regarding the "Live View" feature of the Sony and Canon models.

I encourage you to get on YouTube and check out the online camera reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...type=&aq=f

I learned a few things, I think. One disappointment I had was that with the Sony's there is no magnification feature when using Live View that provides an aid for manual focusing for macro photography. There is a magnification feature but you can't tweak the focus while it is enabled - or so CameraLabs claimed in their video. Perhaps I misunderstood.

A350 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVxU54Z0H9o
- at about the 6:25 mark they discuss using magnification

With the Canon XSi and the Olympus E-520, there is a magnification feature whereby you can refine the focus with manual focus.

Also, the continuous drive mode of the A350 is slower than the A300 - 2.5fps vs 3.0fps.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:13 PM   #7

I just picked up the A350. i really do like it. It ran me 60.00 more than the a300 when all was done, I'll explain.

I also like that you can use the Maxxum Af lenses. I picked up a 50mm 2.8 macro and a 28-105 for 150.00 on Ebay

Sale at Best Buy 2 weeks ago ( still available)

a300 kit with 18-70 549.99

75-300 49.99 after 180.00 off purchased with a300

access. kit ( bag and spare battery) 99.99

Best Buy online had, gone now

a350 with 18-70 and access. kit ( bag and battery) 699.99

Iexchanged the a300 and kit (549.99 + 99.99= 649.98 )for the a350 with kit( 699.99 ) and kept the 75-300 lens

Andy

agfazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:29 PM   #8

I have an XSi myself and I can tell you that the "live view" function is rather difficult to use, especially if you're expecting it to perform likea P&S.

I appreciate the links to the YouTube reviews, but I can't make use of them on my dial-up connection. And I don't understand what you mean by "magnifaction feature" when using live view.

Maybe this is a dumb question but... Can I assume that when using the live view on the Sony A300 that the user is able to focus?

Confusing stuff. I feel like I'm buying my own first DSLR all over again!

I would have suggested to my friends wife that she look at the XSi, or at a similarly-priced Nikon, but I really feel like the user-friendly live view of the Sony, along with the moving screen, might be nice add-ons.

Old Dec 16, 2008, 1:24 PM   #9

Most 'Live View' systems let you magnify the image so you can better judge the accuracy of the focus, which is especially useful when focusing manually. The A300 and A350 don't have that feature. You can manually focus when using 'Live View'; you just can't zoom in with the 'Live View' to check your focus.

Nikon really doesn't have anything equivalent until you get to the D90, which is a lot more money. The D40/D40X and D60 don't have a 'Live View' feature, and aren't very good for a number of other reasons.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 1:28 PM   #10

Another question has come to mind.

If you're happy with your Canon XSI, why would you recommend a Sony? If your buddy has an XSi, then you can help him to use it, and maybe learn a few things yourself. And you can each buy different lenses, and share them ocassionally.