Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 19, 2008, 7:19 AM   #1

This is what is in the bag at the moment. I generally will be taking photos of family, travel spots, andkids around home and at their school functions, sports events, mainly soccer.

Ihave:

Sony a350 dslr

Sony kit 18-70 kit lens

Sony 75-300 kit lens for sale/trade, going to get 55-200 Tamron LD Di II

Minolta 28-105

Minolta 50 Macro ( for pics of my Saltwater reef tank )

What would be some other average lenses I should add to the portfolio/

Andy

agfazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:43 AM   #2

agfazio wrote:
Quote:
This is what is in the bag at the moment. I generally will be taking photos of family, travel spots, andkids around home and at their school functions, sports events, mainly soccer.

Ihave:

Sony a350 dslr

Sony kit 18-70 kit lens
The A350 is wasted on a 18-70. The optical quality of the kit lensis not very high, and the flaws are more apparent in 14MP images,so one of my first choices would be a replacement.

I have the Tamron 17-50/2.8 that I'm very happy with, but I like the available light capability of this lens. Other choices might be the Sony/Zeiss 16-80/3.5-4.5 or the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 Macro. You could also just use your 28-105 if you won't miss the wide end. If you don't get the 17-50/2.8, you might also get a flash if you do indoor/low-light photography.

agfazio wrote:
Quote:
Sony 75-300 kit lens for sale/trade, going to get 55-200 Tamron LD Di II
The Sony 55-200 is the same lens, btw.But a Beercan might be an even better choice.

agfazio wrote:
Quote:
What would be some other average lenses I should add to the portfolio/
A very capable and useful lens would be the Minolta 50/1.7, available for ~$100.

In fact, the 28-105 covers most of what the kit lens covers, and most of what the 55-200 covers. I think I'd keep the 28-105, replace the 18-70 with something wider, like the Tamron 17-50/2.8, and replace the 75-300, not with a 55-200, but with a Beercan.

Nothing else jumps out at me. Have you not been able to do something you want, because of the gear you've got?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:44 PM   #3

I will also say that none of the lenses you mentioned are particulary appropriate for sports, though theymight work okfor some sports but not others. What sports are you thinking about?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 5:22 PM   #4

The sports end is elementary school aged soccer.

I do like your choices for lenses and Thank You for the recommendations and views.

I am not able to get clear shots indoors without flash. I am trying to not use flash as much as possible.

The flashgun I have is a Minolta 3500xi, it says it is wireless but I cant get it to work.

Andy
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:02 PM   #5

agfazio wrote:
Quote:
The sports end is elementary school aged soccer.
For that I thinkyou should have something going out to 300mm if you're on the sidelines, and longer if you're in the stands. Sony has a very nice 70-300 'G' that is on sale for $749. (Try to contain yourself.) The Tamron 70-300 Di LD is better than the Sony 75-300, as are the Minolta 100-300 APO and the Minolta 100-400 APO. The Minoltas are not cheap, but they're less expensive than the 'G'.

agfazio wrote:
Quote:
I am not able to get clear shots indoors without flash.
Then I can wholeheartedly recommend the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and the 50/1.7. I use both of those for exactlythat purpose.

agfazio wrote:
Quote:
The flashgun I have is a Minolta 3500xi, it says it is wireless but I cant get it to work.
I don't even use the pop-up flash, so you'll have to talk to someone else about that.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:17 PM   #6

OK ,

I now own,

Sony 18-70 kit lens, need to keep this for a bit. $$$

Minolta 50mm 1.7 prime
Minolta 28-105mm
Minolta 50mm macro
Minolta 70-210mm beercan

Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:58 AM   #7
Administrator

agfazio wrote:
Quote:
Most older flash models like that are *not* fully compatible with digital (unless you want to use manual power settings on camera models that support that feature like the Maxxum 7D or Sony A700). Otherwise, they'll always fire at full power (making it very difficult to get properly exposed photos). Wireless may or may not work at all. But, your flash is not considered to be compatible with Konica Minolta or Sony dSLR models.

Flash systems were redesigned for digital, since the reflective characteristics of a digital camera's imaging sensor make it difficult to use off the film metering techniques during a flash exposure. So, flash systems for digital require a preflash to judge exposure (and older Minolta flash models that were designed for film like the 3500xi do not understand the new camera commands).

If you want a fully compatible flash, you'll need to move to one of the newer flash models like the Minolta 3600HS (same as the new Sony HVL-F36AM), Minolta 5600HS (same as the Sony HVL-F56AM), or newer Sony HVL-F42AM or HVL-F58AM for proper operating on digital SLR models.

Older models like the 5400HS and 3500xi, etc. are not going to work properly on a digital SLR. Note the "Digital Ready" column in this table:

http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/flashes.php#dedi

Metz also makes some compatible flash units (provided you have the correct SCA3302 adapter with newer firmware installed). This flash has a replaceable foot (the SCA Adapter) so that you can use the same flash with multiple camera systems by using a different foot. For example, the Metz 54MZ-4 with a newer SCA3302 foot is a popular choice (and most vendors sell the flash and sca foot needed for a specfic camera brand in a kit).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:58 PM   #8

agfazio wrote:
Quote:
OK ,

I now own,

Sony 18-70 kit lens, need to keep this for a bit. $$$

Minolta 50mm 1.7 prime
Minolta 28-105mm
Minolta 50mm macro
Minolta 70-210mm beercan
You sure don't let the grass grow under your feet.

That should be a nice collection, well suited for your A350. All that's left is something on the wide end to replace the kit, and something on the very long end for the soccer.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 6:42 AM   #9

For the wide end I am going to look toward the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 Macro.

For the long end I am looking for a Tamron 200-400mm/5.6.

Andy
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:15 AM   #10

agfazio wrote:
Quote:
For the wide end I am going to look toward the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 Macro.
The Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 is a very good lens, and is a full f-stop faster than the kit lens, but is that enough? You said you wanted "... to get clear shots indoors without flash." Do you think one f-stop will do that?