Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:27 PM   #11

Thanks for your thoughts Jim. I think I'm convinced that I should upgrade to the 700 first and then move to the 2.8 70-200... With a number of good options, my gut is still telling me to hold out for the Sony-G. I LOVE to spend money! Too bad I'm not wealthy
musicbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:51 PM   #12
Administrator

What do you like to shoot more often (you never have really mentioned much on that part)?

From your member name, I was speculating that you liked to shoot live music a lot. I'd probably lean towards the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 or a brighter prime for that use. The new Tamron is optically superior compared to the latest Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 (and Image Quality would be more important to me compared to AF speed).

I've got the A700 and I really like it. I'm using mostly primes in low light with it (I've got a Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8 in AF primes).

I've got an older Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8 that's not too shabby for low light work on the A700 (and a Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 if I need something wider). On the older KM dSLR models, AF speed/accuracy wasn't as good with my Tamrons. But, AF speed improved a lot with them on the A700. I don't do much with longer lenses, and a Minolta 24-85mm f/3-5-4.5 is on my camera more often than not for walk around work.

All of your lenses will focus considerably faster on the A700 if AF speed is a consideration. Metering, AF accuracy, Dynamic Range, camera responsiveness, etc., are all much improved on the A700.

For the type of shooting I do, I'd probably lean towards the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 if I were planning to buy that type of zoom, since I rarely use lenses that long and when I do, it's usually not for shooting any type of fast moving subject.

BTW, your Bigma should be a pretty nice lens on the A700, as I've seen a number of very nice BIF photos from users of this combo and AF speed appears to be pretty decent with this camera/lens combo, even using a version without HSM. I rarely post links to thread elsewhere. But, here is an older thread showing that combo in late afternoon lighting (6-7PM). Gil (the photographer) has talked frequently about the improved AF performance with the A700/Bigma combo compared to using the Bigma with his older Sony A100.

Birds in Flight at 6-7PM

He's got more in a multi-page album here:

http://art4less.smugmug.com/gallery/3543354#202604827

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:52 AM   #13

My member name, musicbym is one of my careers as a wedding DJ, "music by michael"...

Currently I shoot mostly nature, family and headshots like the one of my daughter below (the aspiring actress). I also create photo montages for my music clients so I spend a chunk of time editing in photoshop. The focus of my recent education is in wedding photography as I am contemplating a future shift to join some long-standing colleagues in the biz.

I prefer natural light whenever possible, thus my interest in the 2.8.

BTW, I gave myself a xmas gift and ordered the A700, vertical grip, spare battery and surprise... the LCD cover from B&H (can't believe it isn't included...)

Attached Images

musicbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 6:49 AM   #14
Administrator

musicbym wrote:
Quote:
...I gave myself a xmas gift and ordered the A700, vertical grip, spare battery and surprise... the LCD cover from B&H (can't believe it isn't included...)
Super. I think you'll really like the camera once you get used to the differences in design compared to your 7D.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote