Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:05 PM   #1

Hi All,

I'm from the UK and new on here. Looking for some advice.

I've currently got the Sony A200 with the following:

Sony 18-70mm Kit lens
Minolta 50mm f/1.4
Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5
Minolta 70-210mm f/4 'Beercan'

I've done lots of research and asked on many forums. The consensus seems to be a zoom at the wider end of the scale.

The Tamron 17-50mm has been highly recommended. What are your thoughts?

I'm a keen fan of the prime lenses and can get hold of a Minolta 28mm f/2.8 for a reasonable price. Would this help me?

I have a keen interest in shooting portraits, cars and boxing. I also have my nephew's wedding in March to consider. Only as a second shooter though.

Any recommendations on what I should buy to 'fill the gap' would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance
Boobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:09 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Firstly welcome to Steve's.

It is going to depend where you think the gap is, what are you not able to do well with the lenses you have. You have a lot of the focal ranges covered but possibly getting some faster glass might help and as you mention a 17-50mm f2.8 could help especially in a wedding situation as the kit lens is not the sharpest out there. Also if you are shooting a wedding, do you have an external flash for when it is allowed as this will be invaluable.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:38 PM   #3

I really don't think you've got a "gap", except, as Mark1616 says, faster glass at teh wide end. The kit lens is the weak link in your arsenal, and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 will fill in nicely. For an upcomingwedding, I think you're first priority should be a flash and the time to practice with it. You can probably get away with the 24-85 for that, and then replace the 18-70 with a 17-50/2.8 later if you can't get both right away.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Sorry for not mentioning that I have the HVLF42AM external flash. Just didn't want to list everything as I was concentrating more on the lens.

So will I benefit more from the zoom rather than the prime I mentioned?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:32 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Personally I prefer the flexibility of a fast zoom and as you are not going sub f2 with the prime you mention then the zoom will cover that option and many more. The Tamron is pretty sharp so you are not going for find too much to complain about there.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:40 AM   #6

Thanks Mark1616. I see what you mean by the zoom covering that focal length.

Ok, one final question before going ahead and purchasing the Tamron.

What is the colour rendition like and how does this compare to the Minolta glass I already have?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:44 AM   #7

The 28mm f/2.8 is a very nice lens, and it's less expensive than the Tamron 17-50/2.8. But a fixed focal length lens requires you to zoom with your feet, and sometimes that's just not possible, especially in a crowded reception hall.

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a fine lens as is the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0. Either would work well as a replacement for your kit 18-70. The Sigma is less expensive, but the Tamron is faster.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:46 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Check this out for shots with the Tamron http://pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens...none&res=6

As ever you need to look at the quality of the photographer but I often have a peek at this site before I buy a new lens.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 8:09 AM   #9

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Check this out for shots with the Tamron http://pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens...none&res=6

As ever you need to look at the quality of the photographer but I often have a peek at this site before I buy a new lens.
Some of those images are fantastic. Makes me want to buy that lens now. Just got to make sure I get a good price on one now. Thanks again. I'm convinced that the Tamron's what I need. :-)
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:06 PM   #10

Took some pics at my friends 21st birthday. Looked at what focal lengths I was mostly using and was surprised.

Most used was 24mm, followed by 50mm, 75mm, 35mm, 26mm, 18mm then 40mm.

Buying the Tamron will cover the majority. The 75mm were taken with the Beercan.

I'm really struggling to get hold of one as most retailers appear to be 'out of stock'. Just going to patient and wait.