Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:53 PM   #1

Hi
I am needing to purchase a flash unit for my Sony A200. I have looked at the Sony models, but I was wandering if any of the later Minolta Maxxum units would meter properly with the newer dslr's.

Thanks
Gene
shutterdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:36 PM   #2

The Minolta digital flah units such as the Minolta 3600HS(D) and Minolta 5600HS(D) will work correctly with youe A200. There are also someflash units from othermanufacturers that should work. See this link for details:

http://www.dyxum.com/flashes/index.asp
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:04 AM   #3

Thanks! I'll check that out.
Gene
shutterdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:03 AM   #4

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
The Minolta digital flah units such as the Minolta 3600HS(D) and Minolta 5600HS(D) will work correctly with youe A200. There are also someflash units from othermanufacturers that should work. See this link for details:

Will the minolta 2500 flash work with the sony a200 or a300 Sony??
vexedviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:28 PM   #5

vexedviking wrote:
Quote:
FrankD wrote:
Quote:

It's my understanding that to get the most out of your DSLR, you'll need a flash designed for a digital camera, leaving you with either the 3600 or the 5600 as pretty much the only choices from Minolta.

For the money, might I suggest you look into Sony's HVL-42fam? I believe it retails for less than $200 and it's a great feature packed flash; more power than the 3600, bounce and swivel head, wireless capability, Sony warranty, and does not have a battery door that feels like it'll break every time you try and open it :-)

~aloha~
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:57 PM   #6

vexedviking wrote:
Quote:
The 2500(D) will work with Sony DSLRs but I'd hesitate to recommend it. It is a very limited capability flash and for most situations you would be better off just using the built in flash.

Personally,I second Hawaii Built's suggestion to look at the Sony HVL-42AM unit. It looks like prettygood value for money.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote