Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:51 AM   #21
Administrator

I'd lean towards the A700 if budget permits. It's going to be a much more suitable camera for sports use (for example: faster AF, higher available ISO speeds, faster frame rate, better viewfinder, faster write speed to memory cards, better build quality).

It's selling for $999 now at many dealers (thanks to a $300 discount right this minute). Here's one example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:53 AM   #22

jim, you are very good at helping me spend that $$. :lol: (you helped me decide on and find the 85mm 1.4 lens) Seriously, i appreciate everyone's imput. you guys have given me some great info and i will consider all of it. i am at this point leaning toward the a700. i think i have a few Christmas gifts i can return to make up the difference(just kidding).

if anyone else has any thoughts, feel free to advise.

thanks a bunch!

d
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:44 AM   #23
Super Moderator

Darlene,

Now I know you have the 50mm and 85mm lens then stick with the system for sure and anyway I wasn't really trying to convince a change LOL.

If you can get to the A700 then I really don't think you will ever have anything to complain about and shooting should be a joy with the lenses you have and when you can get to a 70-200 (or longer) then you will be blown away.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:33 PM   #24
Administrator

The A700 would make a nice choice. Of course, I'm biased since I shoot with one now. It's a very nice upgrade from your 5D.

If you decide to get one, I'd make sure to upgrade to the latest firmware for best results. See this Sticky thread (it's one of the announcement threads you'll find if you look at the threads list for this forum).

Sony A700 Firmware Update: Version 4.0

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 3:29 PM   #25

thanks again guys. that sounds exactly like a plan. i will likely get the a700 and use the lenses i have and get the 70-200 as soon as i can. i will prob get the kit lens with camera for now so that i can give the 5d and the lens it came with to my daughter.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i've never looked at firmware before but i did follow the link and it gives detailed instructions so that should be simple enough!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i came on here asking about a lens. you guys are such a bad influence!:lol:
Old Jan 4, 2009, 3:44 PM   #26

darlenerenee wrote:
Quote:
... i will prob get the kit lens with camera for now ...
The kit lens really doesn't do justice to the A700.

Do you have anything besides the kit, the 50/1.7 and the 85/1.4?

And though a kit lens for $100 sounds like a bargain, it goes for a lot less than that on eBay. And ebay has better lenses that also go for less and will do justice to the A700. Some of which you might look at are:
  • Sigma 24-70 f/3.5-5.6[/*]
  • Minolta 24-85 f/3.5-4.5[/*]
  • Sigma 28-70 f/2.8-4.0[/*]
  • Sigma 28-80 f/3.5-5.6[/*]
  • Minolta 28-85 f/3.5-4.5[/*]
  • Minolta 28-105 f/3.5-4.5[/*]
  • Minolta 35-70 f/3.5-4.5[/*]
  • Minolta 35-70 f/4.0[/*]
  • Minolta 35-105 f/3.5-4.5
[/*]
Granted, none of them go as wide as the kit, but where their ranges overlap, they are much better lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:18 PM   #27

tcav

my only other lens is the minolta 28 2.8. that is good advice tho. (that's why i'm here). i will look at the lens you mentioned.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:19 PM   #28

Right now there are some good buys on the recently discontinues Sigma
EX DG 24-60 f2.8 (not a variable aperture lens), which has been replaced by a 24-70. This is a highly regarded lens and can be gotten in the $200 - 230 range (depending on mount), which is 1/2 or less than the price when it was still current. The best prices seem to be from Cameta (US) and Henry's (Toronto) - both reliable dealers - if you are concerned about failure rates, get it from Henry's as Sigma's Canadian distributor provides a 10 yr warranty on EX lenses, vs the US 1 yr warranty (you would have to mail it for repairs in either case, but the EX series is the top of the line and has good build quality, so failure is unlikely in ordinary use. I ordered one (in Pentax mount - I use both systems) from Henry's and had in in California in less than a week.

If size and weight are a consideration for you you might want to compare the specs of the A700 vs the 300/350. BTW be aware that the burst rate of the 350 is somewhat lower then the 300.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:30 PM   #29

penolta wrote:
Quote:
If size and weight are a consideration for you you might want to compare the specs of the A700 vs the 300/350.
Two things that won't show up on the spec comparison:

1. Focus performance. By all counts there is a fairly big difference between the 700 and the 300/350

2. Noise performance. Again there appears to be a pretty big difference

These are 2 criteria that are very important for sports photography.

Also, if size/weight are a concern, the body weight won't really matter so much when you attach a 70-200 2.8 lens

If you're going to bother upgrading it's a small premium to get a sports capable camera like the 700.

Just my .02
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:09 PM   #30

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Also, if size/weight are a concern, the body weight won't really matter so much when you attach a 70-200 2.8 lens
Just my .02
Your points are well taken, and what you say is perfectly true for yourself and perhaps also for me as dedicated sports or wildlife photographers, but for someone who might be smaller or lack sufficient hand strength for a prolonged shoot with heavier equipment, this combination may not be the way to go, especially if that person is predominantly into general photography and only occasionally shooting sports but having to use the same lens and body for both.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote