Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:42 PM   #31

the weight difference had actually crossed my mind. i have used my now ex-son-in-law's 7D and it was a little bigger than my 5d but acceptable. i used it with a 90mm 2.8 lens. BTW my 85mm 1.4 lens is kind of heavy and i do fine with it. i guess i should look at the weight difference between my 5d and the a700 but it would have to bequite a bitfor me to give up the much better performance. :-)

as far as a lens...i just want something for now within the 24-70,80 range, not necessarily 2.8 cuz i am still saving for that 70-200 2.8 and i have a 28mm 2.8 and a 50 1.7 if i need the wider app in that range. does that make sense?

thanks guys for advice.
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:29 PM   #32

The Maxxum 5D weighs 20.8 oz., while the A700 weighs 24.3 oz.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:39 AM   #33

that doesn't sound like much.....

i hope you looked that up and didn't just know that off the top of your head!:lol:
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:52 AM   #34

I'm a sewer of information. Remember?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:50 AM   #35

i do remember!:lol:
Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:51 PM   #36

darlenerenee wrote:
Quote:
that doesn't sound like much.....
It doesn't, Darlene, and by itself it isn't - but are you aware that the f2.8 HSM lens you are considering weighs FOUR POUNDS? That is more of a concern than the weight of the body. If you think you can handle that (with the A700, a total of 5 1/2 pounds), more power to you - unless of course you are planning on sitting behind a tripod, in which case none of this matters (the lens has a tripod mount). By comparison, Sigma's non EX 70-300 F4.5-5.6 weighs 1 1/2 pounds and the APO version weighs 2 pounds (no tripod mount, and costs a lot less). Just so you know what you are getting into. Here are the specs in case you don't (from the Canadian distributor - Sigma's US site doesn't give the weight - maybe they don't want you to know? :roll: ):

http://www.gentec-intl.com/Default.a...702IIAS#%23%23
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:10 PM   #37

:shock:wow that's almost a baby! i think my 85mm 1.4 is a little heavy but i'm sure it's not 4 pounds. whew. i will definitely have to consider that when thinking about that lens. however, the a700.........4 ounces seems fine.

thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:51 PM   #38

Large aperture lenses are always heavy. For sports shooting you should consider a monopod. Compared to a tripod, they're smaller andlighter, and easier to set up and break down.

But a large aperture lens will allow you to use faster shutter speeds, which is what you want for sports/action/wildlife. And the Sigma 70-300 lenses penolta is referring to aren't very good. They're soft and have significant chromatic aberration at the long end. To be honest, most lenses of this zoom range and this price range aren't very good (probably the best is the Tamron 70-300 Di LD.) But what makes the Sigma special is that, when mounted on Sony ALpha dSLRs, they've been stripping the gears in the autofocus mechanism. See Sigma 70-300 APO.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:20 PM   #39

Well, that wasn't a recommendation - just for comparison. People on the Pentax forum have had nothing but good to say about the APO - I wonder if the Sony mechanism isn't too rough for that particuilar Sigma - they certainly don't sound compatible and after those experiences in the other thread I certainly wouldn't buy one. I have the Sigma 28-300 in Sony/Minolta mount and have used it on the 5D (and maybe also on the 7D) with no problem. I have used the Tamron 70-300 (not the 75-300) in Pentax mount quite a lot and have been quite pleased with it, as have others there - it is especially good in the close-up mode, but under some conditions the lens is known to exhibit purple fringing (I have not found it a problem, having only experienced it on one occasion with mine, and there is a free program for Windows users that can help to eliminate that in post processing. Only one user in the Pentax forum has ever mentioned that, but it has been mentioned elsewhere). Zooms are getting better all the time, but still entail some compromises; there may be better lenses to be found, but at the price it goes for, the Tamron may be the best lens buy out there in that zoom range.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 5:26 PM   #40

The current Alpha models have autofocus motors that spin about 70% faster than the A100 and the KMs, and that's when the gears in the Sigma 70-300 started stripping. It has not affected any other Sigma lenses, however. I have no doubt that, otherwise, the Sigma 70-300 is a fine lens, but I think Alpha owners should avoid it.

Under another set of circumstances, I'd say that the Tamron Di LD and the Sigma APO are probably the best sub-$250 70-300mm lenses available, but with the failures on Sony Alphas, people should probably not consider the Sigma.