Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:23 PM   #1

hey! thanks for the great advice you guys have given me in the past. haven't been on the board lately. i took a photography class at our university this past fall semester. it was GREAT but kept me VERY busy!

anyway, i want a good zoom lens and i have been saving my coins. yes, that's right! - coins!!!i have around $750. to spend. a little more if need be. i'm thinking of the new tamron 70-200 2.8. but i think sigma has a lens similar? what do you think and what about the online stores? crutchfield says it is in stock for $699. i think bhphoto had it for $619. but does not have it in stock. $659 at Abe's but read some negatives about them?

looking for your help again! thanks!

darlene
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:52 PM   #2
Administrator

Adorama has both the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 and Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 in Sony/Minolta AF mount, with a pretty good price on the Sigma.

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 for $714

Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 for $699

The Sigma has HSM (Hypersonic Motor) focusing, which is faster and quieter (and faster AF is useful for sports or shooting rapidly moving subjects). The Tamron has a little better optical quality from reviews I've seen comparing them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:30 PM   #3

thanks jim! you know i do like to shoot sports so that is what i was wondering. i was going to buy the tamron and remembered reading something about the HSM on the sigma and thought i'd get your opinion.

so from the sports aspect the sigma is better? am i losing much? alsois there more than one sigma lens? i know sometimes they come out with different ones later and the letters change somewhat?? is it the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG Macro HSM II Auto Focus?

thanks!!!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:25 PM   #4
Administrator

The latest II version of the Sigma is the only one available for Minolta AF/Sony Alpha mount with HSM. Older versions of the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 in Minolta AF mount rely on the camera body's built in focus motor.

Personally, if I had to choose between them, I'd probably go for the Tamron, despite the slower AF, assuming an A700 body (the AF speed would be good enough for how I'd use a camera). But, if you want faster AF speed for sports, the Sigma seems to be the better option.

You'll see links to reviews of both lenses from KM and Sony dSLR owners here:

Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM

Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:35 PM   #5

Is there a camera store nearby where you can try them out?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:07 PM   #6

the only camera store i know of - i called and they don't carry the tamron for the minolta in stock. they carry it for the canon and nikon as they are more popular. i have a minolta 5d.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:57 PM   #7

Stay as far away from Sigma as you can. Even the lens rental outfits are trying to get rid of their Sigma's failure rate is way to high for them.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 5:21 AM   #8

2many wrote:
Quote:
Stay as far away from Sigma as you can. Even the lens rental outfits are trying to get rid of their Sigma's failure rate is way to high for them.
There's good reason to say this (LensRentals.com Lens Repair Data 2.0, LensPlay.com Lens Defect Survey Results) but when discussing these two lenses, the Sigma 70-200/2.8 does not show up on the LensRentals.com list of lenses with high Annualized Repair Rates, but the Tamron 70-200/2.8 does.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:15 AM   #9
Administrator

darlenerenee wrote:
Quote:
i have a minolta 5d.
You'd probably be much better off with the Sigma for sports use, as it's going to focus a lot faster compared to the Tamron on a 5D body. The 5D's sensor is not going to be as demanding on optical quality compared to a higher resolution body either (and the Sigma is a pretty decent lens from most user reports).

Also, at only $714, Adorama has a very good price on the Sigma right now. It was selling for $799 when first introduced not long ago.

Old Jan 3, 2009, 12:42 PM   #10

thanks once again everyone. i am certainly now leaning hard toward the sigma. one more question. i know that minolta also made a similar lens. should i try to find one of those instead? also just for thought, is the sony worth the big price difference (especially on the 5d)?? maybe i should save more coins?:lol:

thanks,

d