Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:38 PM   #1

Has anyone tried the ProOptic 500mm f/6.3 on their Alpha? I read some reviews on it and it was mixed. I saw an ad today in a magazine that Adorama had a 600mm, but could not find it on their website. These lenses only cost around $160 so I'm wondering if they are any good at all. Also, they mention "T" mount, what is that?

Thanks
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:06 PM   #2

Long refractive lenses have a lot of chromatic aberration (CA). Correcting or preventing CA is what makes a long lens big, heavy, and expensive. Catadioptric lenses have fewer optical elements and fewer polished surfaces, so they are smaller, lighter, less expensive, and produce much sharper images, and since there isn't a lot of refracting going on, they have very little CA. The Sony 500mm f/8 Reflex Telephoto Lens (and the Minolta version before it) is a very good example of such a lens. It also is the only f/8 lens that will autofocus.

If you're serious about using a long lens and have a limited budget, consider the Sony 500/8 (or the Minolta version, available used), because I think you'll be disappointed with the ProOptic, and good long refractive lenses cost a lot.

And if you only need it for some special purpose, you might consider renting one. See LensRentals.com, for instance.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:18 PM   #3

Oops. Sorry. Forgot about the 'T mount' thing.

The T Mount is a universal lens mounting system. It allows a manufacturer to build a lens that can be mounted onto any camera by using adapters to fit the same lens onto each camera. It is a mechanical connection only, and does not support autofocus or autoexposure. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-mount ) In fact, your camera won't know there's a lens attached, and will refuse to take photographs until you choose the setting to not lock the shutter.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:41 AM   #4

Thanks TCav , I was hoping you'd answer. I had never heard of ProOptic so I was courious. I will look into the Sony 500. I'm still interested in the Sony 18/250 but for now the budget won't let me. Appreciate your help!
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:58 PM   #5

LensRentals.com also has the Sony 18-250 if you want to try it out.