Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:40 PM   #1

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have an Alpha 100 with the CZ 16-80 and the 55-200 from the Sony kit. I was thinking about getting a Nikon DSLR kit but I am also thinking about upgrading my Alpha 100 toan Alpha 700 body (I don't really need the live view of the 300 and 350). There is a Sony Style outlet store (Gilroy, CA) near my house, andwhen I called them they said they had a lot of Alpha bodies: 100, 200,300, 350, 700. They would not quote prices over the phone, however, but they said that theretail store outlet prices were even lower than the outlet pricing on sonystyle.com. Has anyone bought an Alpha DSLR from a Sony Style outlet store? I don't mind if a product is factory refurbished as long as it has some kind of warranty.

Thanks!
Chris R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:13 PM   #2

Here in Australia, if you visit Sony Centre (Sony owned outlets), it is unlikely you would get the item for cheaper than the RRP (recommended retail price), unless during their special storewide discount/promotion.

If you want to order a Sony item online (from Sony Style website), the price will be the RRP, unless you have some discount vouchers.

Most other third party retailers would offer the item a little bit cheaper than buying from Sony directly, but not by much.
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:59 PM   #3

If you can get a good deal at an official authorized dealer, go for it. If not, I'd strongly recommend BHPhotovideo. Its the one online retailer that seems to have universal acceptance as being good. I have purchased several bodies and a few lenses from them myself.
MikeThinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:01 PM   #4

In addition to B & H Photo Video that MikeThinks recommended, Adorama is also a good place to shop.

And while they don't advertise prices below what you'll find on Sony Style, they frequently offer free shipping and if you're outside NY, there's no sales tax. Those are two things that Sony Style usually doesn't offer.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:52 PM   #5

Although both B&H and Adorama are good reputable online stores, they are not necessarily the cheapest. Abes of Maine and BUYDIG/Beachcamera are also reputable retailers with much lower prices. Butterfly Photo is another good place to check. I've bought cameras and accessories from these stores without experiencing any problems. Amazon is still my favorite online shop mostltly for their excellent customer service and return policies. However, their prices are becoming less competitive. They have also eliminated their 30-day price adjustment policy.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:13 PM   #6

Yesterday I went to the Sony Style outllet store in Gilroy, CA. Since I was looking for a body only, I didn't really look atthe pricing on the kits. The A100 body seemed pretty reasonablypriced at $330 new and about $270 refurbished. At the A700 level, however, it was not much of a deal: just a hair under $900 for a refurbished body. For $100 more I would just opt for the new one through any of the vendors that the members here have mentioned.

The search continues....
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:20 AM   #7

Chris R. wrote:
Quote:
Yesterday I went to the Sony Style outllet store in Gilroy, CA. Since I was looking for a body only, I didn't really look atthe pricing on the kits. The A100 body seemed pretty reasonablypriced at $330 new and about $270 refurbished.
The A100 has been discontinued for about a year. It was a fine camera (so long as you didn't use any of the higher ISO settings.) $330 new isn't bad with a warranty. (I presume these had full manufacturer warranty.) (Which raises the question: What warranty was available on the refurbished units?)

Chris R. wrote:
Quote:
At the A700 level, however, it was not much of a deal: just a hair under $900 for a refurbished body. For $100 more I would just opt for the new one through any of the vendors that the members here have mentioned.
There is something to be said for buying factory refurbished. That is, when it's really refurbished by the factory, and not a factory trained technician in the service department of a chain store. Most of the parts that can wear have been replaced, and the camera has received personal attention throughoutthe process, instead of being handles by person after person on an assembly line.

Depending on the product, I might feel better about a factory refurbished unit than a new unit (depending on the warranty.)
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:17 PM   #8

Well, long story short. I went backto the outlet storeand bought the refurb A700 body. TCav makes a good point, and I hadn't really thought of it before: Sony doesmakes a big deal of the fact that they stand behind their refurbished products, and the extended warranties available to brand new equipmentare also offered to the refurb stuff, so I also bought the 2-year warranty, which I would probably do with new gear anyway (Sony's normal warranty period for refurb cameras is 90 days).

At the end of the day I only saved $100 but the refurb A700 is cosmetically indistinguishable from new. The sales guy at the store even let me open up two boxesto check two different bodies and they were identical in terms of beingin "like new" condition.I'd warrant that the LCDwas new on both units. I'm just starting to play with it but so far it's a great match for my CZ lens. I've already sold my 55-200 kit lens and am looking for a nice old beercan to experiment with.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:45 PM   #9

Good luck with it. And the Beercan is a fine lens; I'm sure you'll like it.