Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:37 AM   #1

Im looking for a wireless remote for my Sony a300. Do they make them? If so do you have any suggestions as to type and make?
vexedviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:18 PM   #2
Administrator

Gadget Infinity is a reputable vendor located in Hong Kong. They're well liked among among KM and Sony dSLR owners, thanks in part to their hotshoe adapters which can give you an ISO standard hotshoe (as well as a built in PC Sync Port). Here's a page that has some of them:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=275

I use one of these hotshoe adapters with a couple of Sunpak 222 Auto and Sunpak 333 Auto flashe on my Maxxum 5D and Sony A700.

They're also a popular vendor for the Cactus Wireless Flash Triggers. You'll see some of their available models on this page (and they also sell them on Ebay).

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=274

I don't remember seeing any feedback on their inexpensive wireless remote shutter systems. But, you'll find several pages of them here:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=285

It looks like these are going to be the options for the A300 (one IR based system, one wireless system). IR is shorter range an can cause more issues with where you need to be for the receiver to see the signal.

IR Shutter Release for Sony dSLR models

Wireless Remote Shutter for Sony dSLR models

It looks like the wireless system has more features.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:02 AM   #3

I am awaiting IR wireless remote to be drop shipped from Hong Kong. Will post my opinion and hopefully pictures of remote mounted on Sony Alpha camera after it arrives.
TimothyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:52 PM   #4

Thats great. I hope to hear the details soon. You can be the guinea pig :lol:
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:46 PM   #5

I have seen good reviews on Opteka. Avail. at Amazon.com $60

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:16 AM   #6

Here are my first impressions on the IR remote shutter release offered by Gadget Infinity for the Sony Alpha dslr. After playing around with the remote release I found that itbasically does what it is advertised to do. Though the directions do not explain in detail theactual use of the remote I was able to figure it out somewhat by trial and errror. The remote has a slide setting switch on the side of the transmitter that you select either instantaneous or 2 second delay shutter release. Longer delay is possible by setting the transmitter to instantaneous and the camera to 10 second delay. There is a three position slide switch on opposite side. With threesettings on thisswitch I onlygot to understand two of them, they were Offin position one and On in position three. Positiontwo I have not quite figured out, but I believe it has something to do with focus but I did not understand what the camera was doing in this position and no picture could be taken using this setting.Setting the 3-way switch to On position three allows you to slightly depress the shutter release button on the transmitter and focus the camera. Thecamera remains focused (the green focus light in the viewfinder remains lit) until you fully depressthe shutter release button.The recieverhas a hotshoe foot on it sothat I can sit atop the camera and you will need to spend extra money on ahotshoe adapter to convertfrom theMinolta/Sony style on the camera to fit the one on the reciever.

The one big drawback I see for this unit is that you must spend extra money on a hotshoe adapter which negates the IR releases' low price . However the adapter shouldraise the reciever to a sufficient height above the camera to give the pop up flash sufficient clearance to extend and work properly.

Bottom line - this unit will allow for rapid hands free shutter release. I invision using it toquickly bracket three landscape pictures with the camera ona tripod.The one advantage over the 2 and 10 second delay camera setting is that the remote shouldwork good for photographersthat wish to have a remote release to get themselve into the picture but note the IR has a limited range.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 5:56 PM   #7

Thats great Info, thanks. I have been doing some thinking in regards to the Ir or FM type of remote, and have decided to go with the FM. What did you pay for the one you bought? I think the one I have my eyes on is aprox. $49.00 . How much was your shipping to Michigan? Im assuming mine would close to yours , Im just north west of you .
Old Mar 5, 2009, 5:57 PM   #8

I forgot to ask how long did it take to get??
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:06 AM   #9

I have been looking at pictures of RF remote shutter releases and if they have a reciever that you can just plug into the remote socket and then let the reciever hang down from the camera that might be a good alternative. I did notice that the RF model for Sony/Minotla from Gadget Infinity also has the standard hotshoe foot so it will need a hotshoe adapter to mount on camera also. I am not thrilled about having to also buya hotshoe adapter.Think I will do some more research and see what else if available.

I purchased online from Gadget Infinity and the shipping was only $5.00to sendairmail from Hong Kong, it took about 15 days to arrive.Totalwith shipping was $25.00 USD.

Just looked on Ebay and Gadget Infinity is selling the Cactus RF wireless release for $34.95 with free shipping from Hong Kong.

Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:47 PM   #10

Again, may I suggest this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00113G1IA

I got it. It works.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote