Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1

Ok I've done some research and found that 400 is probably the highest ISO you should use on the a100. Can someone give me some suggestions as to what program to use for noise reduction. I knew the a100 wasn't the best in this regard but it wasn't a problem until a friend was dogging my camera last nite and saying how great his was (d40) at high iso. Although it was all in good fun, I really want to take some nightime pics where the higher ISO can come in handy and before I got started thought maybe I can start practicing on my editing skills, but only with nr.

Here is an example. I couldn't slow the shutter speed down anymore otherwise the moon would have been even more...whatever the word is overblown, blurry, I don't know. But I still wanted the branches to be seen so I went on up to 1600 with noisy expected results. So what would have turned this picture into what I was looking for? Or is a filter all I need?

antonlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:56 PM   #2

Well, noise isn't the issue but you did ask:

I recommend NOiseware. There is a free version of it. Neatimage and Noise Ninja are the other 2 popular choices. I haven't tried them becaue I've been happy with Noiseware. I shoot sports so a LOT of high ISO work. I freelance for paper and sell prints so image quality is important. I've seen good results from all 3 though.

For your shot, the issue is dynamic range. The moon is much, much, much brighter than the branches. To get a quality usable shot wth both exposed properly you would need to do an HDR (do a search) or blended exposure. They are very much the same thing in that you take a series of photos at different exposures and they get blended into a single image. In reality, that's a tough shot to end up with a good result in and you'd be best served using a tripod to get it - otherwise keeping the camera in the exact same position for the several shots would be virtually impossible.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:18 PM   #3

Thank you so much for the reply! And I am familiar with HDR, tried one once, it turned out like crap and I gave up. I realize that this is not photo class, but If I tried again with the DRO setting or even if i shoot in the bracket mode, should I still bump the ISO up (maybe not to 1600 like this one), or just leave it low?
antonlmo is offline   Reply With Quote