Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:23 AM   #1

I now see what every one was saying about the kit lenses not being good for the camrea. i have two shot tryed to get them the same as posabile one taken with the a-350 the other my old h-2. Yoy can see a big detail diffrnce the h-2 has better detail.

here is the a-350
Attached Images

cheeze_wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:25 AM   #2

now here is the h-2... Can some one tell me what glass to get for this cam i am a single father of two and dont have a lot of money left are thier any good used lenses on b and h website i am new to this and need help.
Attached Images

Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:06 AM   #3

CW, you may want to look at some Minolta Maxxum lenses.

This is at KEH, and they usually have a good selection of used lenses in very good condition.

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx

I have an A300, and the kit lens does alright with 10 mp, but I am looking at Minolta lens as a possible replacement for it. You can read user reviews at Dyxxum:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

Some of the Minolta Maxxum lenses were very good, and can be had fairly cheaply, while others are not very good, but the dyxum website will allow you to read reviews and decide for yourself. Good luck, Robert

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 4:06 AM   #4

The Sony kit lens has a broad zoom range, so it's hard to find a lens that covers the same range and is better optically.

I have the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 that I'm pleased with. Others here have liked the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0, and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 are also very good, but they all cost at least $350.

KEH.com has the Minolta Maxxum 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 ($133), 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 ($133), and 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 ($76)that are all very good.

eBay also has some of the Minolta Maxxum 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 lenses as well:

Minolta AF 28-85mm 1:3.5-4.5 macro zoom lens sony alpha

MINOLTA AF LENS 28-85MM WITH MACRO --NICE LENS

Minolta Maxxum AF 28-85mm f3.5-4.5 Sony A100 A300 A700

Minolta 28-85 mm f/3.5-4.5 (SMALL BEER CAN)

They all cost less than $100.

None of the less expensive lenses will go as wide as the kit lens, but if you can live without it, any of these should do well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:36 AM   #5

as far as wide yeah i can live with that i could live with out it if i have better qulity in the pics. thank you all for your replys. i will look into each lens you have listed and see what i can do.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:49 AM   #6

The 18-70 kit lens gives you an angle of view of about 75° at the wide end. The 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 at KEH.com will give you an angle of view of about 60°. The rest all start off at 28mm and about a 50° angle of view.

Check the focal length you've used on the photos you've taken so far, and see how much of an inconvenience this will be.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:40 PM   #7
Administrator

I see you took the A350 image at 300mm with the aperture wide open at f/5.6.

With most inexpensive 70-300mm or 75-300mm zooms, the 300mm end is going to be softest. The widest available aperture (f/5.6 in this case) is also going to be softest.

Stopping down can help (i.e., try f/8 or f/11 instead of f/5.6 where lighting permits), and try not to zoom in all the way to 300mm for best results.

But, you may be seeing mostly image processing differences between camera models. Most dSLR models are not going to sharpen an image as much by default. So, you may want to bump up the sharpness and contrast settings a bit if you want sharper images without any post processing. Just keep in mind that too much sharpening can destroy real detail.

Here's your image from the A350:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:41 PM   #8
Administrator

Here it is lightly sharpened:
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:42 PM   #9

Thank you everybody on here who has repled i am just learning this is my first DSLR. I hope to some day soon do some photo shoots, and or weddings. I am doing my friends wedding for free just to beable to learn i told them to still hire a pro. LOL. I am thinking about taking a class at the local collage. ( sorry My spelling is real bad. ) so any help any one can give i really do appreciate.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:46 PM   #10

JimC's right.

Since the shot from the A350 wasn't taken with the 18-70 kit lens, this isn't justification for replacing the kit lens like I was proposing.

Since this was taken with the Sony 75-300, this is and indication of the relatively poor performance of that lens. You can stop it down and not zoom past 200mm, like JimC said, and that should increase the image quality. But if it's important to you,an alternative is the Tamron 70-300 Di LD, which is available for ~$160. And you might be able to sell your Sony on eBay for $75-$100, which will help offset the cost of the new lens.

Neither the Sony 18-70, nor the 75-300 are particularly good lenses, and I jumped to the conclusion that you were talking about the quality of the images you were getting from the more common 18-70.

I apologize for misleading you, and hopeI didn't cause any alarm or concern.