Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:52 AM   #1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5_6_Di_LD.html

I am looking for a good lens for my A350 and came across this deal is it going to be a good lens to start with being it will be my first other then the kit lens?
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:10 AM   #2

Yes. The Tamron 70-300 Di LD is a good lens, and probably better than any other lens in that range for twice the price.

See http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/455/cat/23

It's not as good as the Sony 70-300 G (not to be confused with the Sony 75-300), but the G goes for $800.

What do you want to shoot with it?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:14 AM   #3

I have a Tamron 28-300mm XR Di, which I find to be an excellent lens considering the wide range it covers. The one you found is a Di lens but not XR. However, considering the low cost and B&H good return policy, I'd give it a try.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:18 PM   #4

I'm going into DC next month and will take lots of shots of everything there but I got the camera for taking pictures at air shows and motorcycle racing.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:56 PM   #5

Slayers wrote:
Quote:
I'm going into DC next month and will take lots of shots of everything there but I got the camera for taking pictures at air shows and motorcycle racing.
The Tamron 70-300 Di LD would be good for "air shows and motorcycle racing", but might be long for DC.

These were both shot at 24mm (coincidentally)using my Tamron 17-50/2.8:

What other lenses do you have?

What other lenses are you looking at?

Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:12 PM   #6

Just the kit lens I am on a budget right now so I'm trying to stay around that price for a good lens
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:00 PM   #7

The Tamron 70-300 Di LD will compliment the kit lens very well. But I don't think you'd have much ocassion to use it here in DC. The kit lens will be ok for landscape/cityscapes, but will be too dim for indoor shots without a flash, and the built-in flash probably won't be strong enough for shotsinside the Capitol Rotunda, the Smithsonian, and the like. But since many places ask you not to use flash anyway, that might not matter.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:12 PM   #8

Just make sure you bump up the ISO if shooting in low light. That will help with the flash range as well.

I recently bought a Sigma 24mm f2.8 prime and love it. It's noisy at times (if the focal distance changes from near to far and vice-verse otherwise, it's not bad at all) but it's very sharp, very light and compact and color rendition is very good. Great lens for indoors and landscape. It has macro capabilities as well. I was contemplating buying the Minolta 50mm f1.7 but I think that 75mm is a bit too tight for indoors or landscape photography, reason why I went with the 24mm.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote