Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:29 PM   #1

Ok, if I had the adapter from gadget infinity could i use a Nikon sp800 on my Sony A series camera's I need a flash that I can use my better beamer on for wildlife photography, so manual control is better. btw I already own an sp800
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:22 PM   #2

I am not expert on this, but Sony does sell Flash Hot Shoe Adaptor (FA-HS1AM) for ISO 518 standard remote controls and flashes. Which I believe that an adaptor should work, but you might not be able to enjoy features like ADI flash metering.
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:10 AM   #3

lets see $19;.95 for one from gadget infinity or $129.00 for one from Sony, again Sony has priced itself out of my league, I am sick and tired of Sony's proprietry crap, when I wear this camera out its off to Nikon or Canon.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Administrator

2many wrote:
Quote:
Ok, if I had the adapter from gadget infinity could i use a Nikon sp800 on my Sony A series camera's I need a flash that I can use my better beamer on for wildlife photography, so manual control is better. btw I already own an sp800
It will probably work as a manual flash via a Minolta FS-1100 or equivalent adapter. I'd probably go with a third party adapter instead of a Minolta FS-1100 (and they're a bit hard to find anyway).

I'm using this older adapter version (no voltage protection) with a Sunpak 333 Auto and Sunpak 222 Auto on a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony A700 (since the trigger voltage from these flash models is relatively low):

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...275&page=1

But, if buying an adapter now, I'd go with this one instead:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...275&page=1

Both of these adapters have a built in PC Sync Port, too.

Quote:
lets see $19;.95 for one from gadget infinity or $129.00 for one from Sony, again Sony has priced itself out of my league, I am sick and tired of Sony's proprietry crap, when I wear this camera out its off to Nikon or Canon.
Dedicated Flash models are proprietary, in much the same way lens mounts are proprietary.

Just because your SB-800 fits into an .iso shoe, doesn't mean that it's going to work on other camera brands, unless you use manual settings on the flash and camera (forget high speed sync, ttl features, etc.).

That's because the extra contacts in the flash shoe (contacts other than the center contact) are proprietary to a camera brand. The protocols used to communicate between a camera body and flash model using these extra contacts, are also proprietary to a camera brand. So, you will not have ttl ability using your flash on other brands (Canon, etc.) either, even if it does fit into the hotshoe for triggering purposes.

The Minolta flash shoe designed for their Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha models (and also used by Sony for it's dSLR models) is different in more than one way (and many users think it's better than the typical .iso shoe).

But, for triggering a flash like your SB-800, usually only the center pin and outside of the shoe are used (short between them to trigger a flash). So, you can find adapters to let it mount and work using manual settings with Sony/Minolta camera bodies.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote