Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1

Recently I was asked to put together a slide show of my images for a regional medical training event. Will be very good exposure for my work. I have been shooting in the 3:2 capture mode vs the 16:9 mode (which is weide screen format I belive). With my pervious cameras Fuji S5100 and S9100 and Olympus C700 and C740 I was able to resize the pictures to 7.5 x 10inches and they would fill the entire frame on a powerpoint slide. Now with all the images from A200 they have to be stretched in order to fill the frame as one of the deminsions is not allow it to resize at 7.5 x 10inches. Sometimes it looks ok and other times it makes the heads look like aliens...... However it should be noted that when I play the images back in powerpoint or windows picture viewer (wpv as a slideshow) the images resixe to fill the screen and look good.

However for this event I have to use the powerpoint format.......Can't just set it up a folder of stills and let windows picture viewer scroll through them.

Should I be shooting in 16:9 all the time or not...... Has anyone else had the same problem and what was your fix.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:41 PM   #2

When you shoot in 16:9, your A200 will keep the same horizontal resolution but reduce the vertical resolution. I suggest you continue to shoot in the highest resolution possible. (I don't know for a fact, but I suspect that, for the kind of work you do, some of your shots might be used as evidence, so in your position, I would hesitate to not get something I could have gotten.)

For a PowerPoint presentation, I'd simply resize the images from a 3:2 aspect ratio to a 4:3 aspect ratio, and use them as is. PowerPoint will scale them for whatever output device, print or screen, so just set the aspect ratio with the highest resolution possible.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:22 PM   #3

your 4:3 idea of resizing the images worked perfectly!!!! Thanks for the info, Tcav you are a walking encylopedia on digital photography

dave
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:50 PM   #4

Personally, I wouldn't mind black border on top and bottom of the screen. Or have the photos on the top, and some captions at bottom of each page.

I am not exactly sure if MS PowerPoint can do 16:9 slides, but with the Keynotes I use for slide shows, I use mostly widescreen format (16:10).
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:08 AM   #5

Aother great idea for those slides when I need a caption below the picture. Some don't need captions which is why I needed to find a way to get full screen slides.

dave
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:07 AM   #6

Widescreen televisons have an aspect ratio of 16:9 (1920x1080) while widescreen computer displays often have an aspect ratio of 16:10 (1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080). The extra vertical space provided by the 16:10 aspect ratio provides a full 16:9 image plus a menubar or taskbar.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote