Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:14 PM   #1

I've owned the Tamron 70 - 300 mm LD Macro Di lens for several months and have used it extensively on the weekends. I love its' versatility and use it for macro and full zoom shots.

About 6 weeks ago, the lens started making a noise when the camera (Sony A700)was turned on. It was a quick crunching sound. It does it every time the camera is turned from off to on.

I sent it back to Tamron. The lens has a 6 year warranty. They honored the warranty and I recently received it back. The receipt said they cleaned it. I was very happy that the companystood behind its' product.

I looked forward to using it this weekend (the first since it was returned), but after mounting it on the camera and turning it on, the lens still makes the same crunching sound it made 6 weeks ago. Now I'm shifting from happy to not so happy....

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with this lens?
bpearcy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:09 PM   #2

If the lens operates OK once the camera has turned on (AF is accurate - the camera can easily lock focus at any focal length), then I would not worry too much about it.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:41 AM   #3

Thanks for responding.

The crunching sound is quite loud and the lens does have trouble focusing. With the noise it now makes, taking pictures of wildlife or in large groups of people is nearly impossible, even if it did still focus properly. It sounds like someone learning to drive a manual shift vehicle for the first time and not hitting the shift points correctly. I'm afraid it would tear up my camera it's so bad.

My other lenses work fine when mounted on the A700.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:40 AM   #4

Now, the fact that the camera does not focus properly through the Tamron lens does indicate a more serious problem with the lens itself. When you turn the camera on, the camera immediately communicates with the lens to determine which lens is actually mounted. It uses this information to adjust the internal flash output, image stabilization system by knowing the focal length of the lens, etc, etc,. It appears that the AF mechanism inside your lens is the problem. I'd contact Tamron once again and give them a hard time. Obviously they did not take care of the actual problem to begin with. Is the lens still under the warranty? If so, you may push them to send you a replacement unit. My past experience with lens repair has been a very negative one. Once they take the elements apart, the lens will never be the same again (perhaps I've been unlucky). Send them as much info. as you possibly can. If you have a P&S, cut a 10 sec video showing the noise as you turn the camera on and send the memory card along with the lens. The more evidence you provide to substantiate your claims, the less likely you will get the usual BS from the manufacturer.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 6:00 AM   #5

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I've heard of similat problems with the Sigma 70-300 APO, but not the Tamron. The autofocus motor in the A700 and subsequent models, is faster and stronger than earlier models, and other brands as well. It could be that your particular lens might have not held up as well as some others.

I like Tullio's suggestion of documenting the problem as much as possible, in order to help them identifying the source of the noise.

Good luck and, please, keep us informed.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 4:38 PM   #6

It's very ironic. I love the Tamron lens. I purchased it rather than the Sigma because of the problems I'd read about with the Sigma 300 mm.

I've e-mailed Tamron again. We'll see what happens.

I'm sure the Sony G lens would solve these issues for me, but I doubt $5,000 will get me results that are $4,800 better than the < $200 Tamron lens. I can afford to buy three or four Tamron lenses versus the cost of the G lens.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:37 AM   #7

Update....

A representative from the Tamron service department contacted me via e-mail and asked thatI send the lens back a second time. He said to send itto his attention and thathe would make sure the service manager looked at the lens personally.

I sent it back yesterday. I've got my fingers crossed.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 1:01 PM   #8
Administrator

Some vibration when you turn the camera on is normal.

Upon power up, the camera is likely going through a CCD alignment procedure because of it's anti-shake system causing some of it, and it also presets the focus on the attached lens to infinity.

Some lenses are going to be more noisy than others. If it's a bad crunch, it could be that the gears in the lens have an issue.

Upon power off, the camera is performing a sensor clean procedure (shaking the dust from it).

I haven't heard of any lenses with issues stripping gears at a higher than expected level except for some of the Sigma 70-300mm lenses. So, you may just have a bum lens (that happens with most any brand/model from time to time).

Note that the A700 does have a menu option to change the Autofocus Drive Speed to low if desired, and from comments I've seen, there is little difference in AF speed using it that way. But, I wouldn't want to do that just because of one lens that does not have a reputation for stripping gears. Please let us know what Tamron says after they look at it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:18 PM   #9

Update....

At this point my Tamron 70 - 300 mm LD Macro Di has been sent back to Tamron three times.

They sent a return tag and I sent it UPS on Saturday for a replacement lens. For whatever reason, they can't fix the problem in my original lens. The lens was never right since the original problem occurred. Each time I received it back, the lens was not repaired.

I'll provide another update once I receive the new lens.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:10 PM   #10

Just a post to let you know there is at least one lurker following your thread.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote