Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:05 PM   #11

Tullio is correct on using zoom lens for Macro. However, if you are really serious, I still recommend you to get a dedicated Macro lens, for 1:1 magnification.

Sony has two macro lenses, 50mm (SAL50M28 ) and 100mm (SAL100M28 ). Between these two, most people would recommend 100mm one for better working distance, however, it costs significantly more.

In another forum, I've reading recommendations on Tamron 90mm Macro (model 272) and Sigma 105mm Macro (product code 257).
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:40 AM   #12

Thank you Robert (Hawgwild)
I think will start with "BeercaN"
Ben_Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:51 AM   #13

Thank you Tullio and Antony.
I have another question .
Here in Bulgaria there are many former USSR "Zenit" camera and lenses and they are very good , but they use M42 mount. I have red that with adapter I can use lenses with M42 mount on my Sony A200 which have A mount. Do you consider these lenses will serve me vell ( do not forget that I am beginner not prof ):G
Old Mar 23, 2009, 6:09 AM   #14

The M42 lens mount was widely used by a number of manufacturers, and there are several good lenses available in that mount. But the M42 mount does not support autofocus or autoexposure. If you're just starting out, you might want to let the camera do as much for you as possible for a while, and M42 lenses won't let that happen.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:55 AM   #15

antony wrote
Quote:
...if you are really serious, I still recommend you to get a dedicated Macro lens, for 1:1 magnification.

Sony has two macro lenses, 50mm (SAL50M28 ) and 100mm (SAL100M28 ). Between these two, most people would recommend 100mm one for better working distance, however, it costs significantly more.

In another forum, I've reading recommendations on Tamron 90mm Macro (model 272) and Sigma 105mm Macro (product code 257).
I personally don't believe the extra $$$ you pay for a "dedicated" macro lens just to get 1:1 magnification is really worth it unless you have the cash to spend. All these lenses have great limitations due to their fixed FL. Many people have a 50mm lens primarily for portrait (and some macro) photography. It does not work for me. In reality, it's a 75mm lens and I find it a bit too tight for indoor photography and/or landscape. The others are even worse because they are certainly unusable for indoors, too tight for landscape and too short for far away subjects. It would be nice if Sony had a 35mm 1:1 macro at around $150 (like Olympus does). That's a much more usable lens IMO.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:16 PM   #16

Thank you TCav,
but I like challenges and will try. I have read that if use m42 adapter i have to focus manual and then to set in the Sony a200 body aperture that is shown on the lens, and the sony body will calculate the shuter speed . Is that true?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 4:27 PM   #17

Ben_Bulgaria wrote
Quote:
I have another question .
Here in Bulgaria there are many former USSR "Zenit" camera and lenses and they are very good , but they use M42 mount. I have red that with adapter I can use lenses with M42 mount on my Sony A200 which have A mount. Do you consider these lenses will serve me vell ( do not forget that I am beginner not prof ):G
I very much doubt you'll be happy with the results. Lenses that works great with film cameras, may not produce great results on DSLRs. Having the adapter only makes matters worse because the adapter places the lens further from the sensor and that can cause major image degradation. I'd stick to the old Minolta Maxxum lenses since they are all AF and work well on the Alpha.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:30 PM   #18

Ben_Bulgaria wrote:
Quote:
Thank you TCav,
but I like challenges and will try. I have read that if use m42 adapter i have to focus manual and then to set in the Sony a200 body aperture that is shown on the lens, and the sony body will calculate the shuter speed . Is that true?
Yes. You must use M Mode, and set the aperture manually.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:21 AM   #19

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
I personally don't believe the extra $$$ you pay for a "dedicated" macro lens just to get 1:1 magnification is really worth it unless you have the cash to spend.
To do macro photography properly, a proper device/tool is needed. The reality is that those dedicated macro lenses aren't cheap generally speaking. Sorry that you were offended. I stand by my original recommendation.
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:18 AM   #20

antony wrote:
Quote:
To do macro photography properly, a proper device/tool is needed. The reality is that those dedicated macro lenses aren't cheap generally speaking. Sorry that you were offended. I stand by my original recommendation.
I'm not offended at all, Antony. I simply made a comment based on my beliefs. I'd like to understand what you mean by "properly". Can you elaborate on it some?

I can show you hundreds of macro shots taken at 1:2 and 1:4 that you will not be able to tell they were not 1:1. If you have a good lens with macro capabilities (whether it's 1:2 or 1:4), you should be able to get some pretty incredible images. Assuming the camera has enough megapixels and good resolution, one can always crop the image a bit to obtain the 1:1 ratio w/o loss in IQ. But then again, that's just my opinion.