Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:20 PM   #1

I am in the process of getting an Alpha 200. I know that the selection of lenses are more limited with Sony but that really isn't a concern to me. I will get the Sony with the base lense but when adding a longer zoom, which brands are better than others? I guess I am looking for a list in order of preference, if that is possible.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:18 PM   #2

Sony lenses are not that limited there are plenty of lenses to choose from. Also all older Minolta auto focus lenses work with Sony cameras and there's plenty to choose from.

The "kit lens" that comes with Sony cameras is a good lens to start with. If your looking for a longer lens there are a lot to choose from such the Minolta 70-210 f/4 lens or the Minolta 70-300APO just to name a couple. They will set you back about $200 to $300.

The A200 is a very good camera with in body stabilization it's a good choice.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:58 PM   #3

The Sony 70-300 'G'($850) is the best lens of its kind for any camera, and the Sony 70-400 'G' ($1,600) andSony 70-200 'G' ($1,800)are also very good.

If those are beyond your budget, there are some other telephoto zooms that are also very good. The Minolta 70-210mm f/4.0 'Beercan' ($175 Used) and the original Minolta 75-300 'Big Beercan' ($250 Used) are good choices, as are the Minolta 100-300 APO ($300 Used) and the Minolta 100-400 APO ($500 Used).

The Tamron 70-300 Di LD ($160)and 55-200 Di II LD ($175) are very good for the price. Sony sells the 55-200 under its own name, but charges $229 for it.

Sony's 75-300 has a lot of chromatic aberration at the long end and is relatively expensive. Sigma's 70-300 APO is good but has a history of stripped autofocus gears.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:12 PM   #4

Am I correct that the A200 has a 1.5 converter so a 55-200 would be the equivalent to a 110-300?
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:20 PM   #5

Outhouse wrote:
Quote:
Am I correct that the A200 has a 1.5 converter so a 55-200 would be the equivalent to a 110-300?
Yes and no. The A200 does have a 1.5x cropping factor but if you do the math, a 55-200mm translates into 82.5-300mm.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:26 PM   #6

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
The "kit lens" that comes with Sony cameras is a good lens to start with.
Well, I have a much different opinion about the kit lens. I find the optics to be on the poor side. The range is certainly nice making it very versatile but IMO, just about any old Minolta lens is better than the kit lens that comes with the A200.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:21 PM   #7

I've been using the tamron 28 - 300mm lens on my Sony A200 to photograph fires, rescues and the like. It is a nice lens for what I do (an all in one lens for times you can't change the lens becuase of sand, smoke and dirt issues). I also have a friend that uses the Tamron 18 - 270mm on a Sony A100 and he likes that lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6_3_XR_Di.html

Also I got 2 kit lenses my A200 18 - 70 and 55 - 200mm. The 18 - 70 is good, but the 55 - 200 is sort of soft, its a good starter lens but if your gonna be serious about your pictures you'll want a better lens (I don't even carry this one in my camera bag at all, its till in the original box).

I carry the 18 - 70mm in my bag and the 28 - 200mm is attached to the camera.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:10 AM   #8

I am brand-new to dSLR photography; I bought my A200 at Christmas and have been fairly disappointed with it, but I don't think it's the body, I think it's the lenses. I bought the kit with the telephoto lens deal and got the Sony 75-300 for the $50 price, so for $50, who can complain? That said, after reading the reviews here and elsewhere pointing out the problems (it is so darned soft all the way out at 300, but that's what I bought it for!), I've found ways to work around the deficiencies.

I am so completely boggled and confused with lens choices. I have a small budget; maybe $200-$300 once a year or so to spend on lenses. I'm going to have to go the used/old Minolta AF lens route until I come into some money. Also, I'm not loyal to Minolta, but I don't know if you can mount Tamron and Sigma lenses on the A200.

I am in desperate need of the best fast lens I can afford. I've been looking at the old Minolta 50mm (49mm?) 1.7 and it seems to have good reviews. Second on my list is a good walking-around lens, something better than the 18-70 kit lens the camera came with. Third on my list would be a much higher-quality long lens.

Anyone who has experience with Sony/Minolta lenses who would be willing to share their opinion for these three choices, I would really appreciate it. As someone mentioned earlier, I'm not so much concerned with great bokeh as I am with sharpness, color, and clarity. I can fake DOF with Photoshop, but I can't fake a great picture SOOC.

Thanks!
Sarah
Monroe, Louisiana

dugarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:40 AM   #9

dugarner wrote:
Quote:
I am brand-new to dSLR photography; I bought my A200 at Christmas and have been fairly disappointed with it, but I don't think it's the body, I think it's the lenses. I bought the kit with the telephoto lens deal and got the Sony 75-300 for the $50 price, so for $50, who can complain? That said, after reading the reviews here and elsewhere pointing out the problems (it is so darned soft all the way out at 300, but that's what I bought it for!), I've found ways to work around the deficiencies.

I am so completely boggled and confused with lens choices. I have a small budget; maybe $200-$300 once a year or so to spend on lenses. I'm going to have to go the used/old Minolta AF lens route until I come into some money. Also, I'm not loyal to Minolta, but I don't know if you can mount Tamron and Sigma lenses on the A200.

I am in desperate need of the best fast lens I can afford. I've been looking at the old Minolta 50mm (49mm?) 1.7 and it seems to have good reviews. Second on my list is a good walking-around lens, something better than the 18-70 kit lens the camera came with. Third on my list would be a much higher-quality long lens.

Anyone who has experience with Sony/Minolta lenses who would be willing to share their opinion for these three choices, I would really appreciate it. As someone mentioned earlier, I'm not so much concerned with great bokeh as I am with sharpness, color, and clarity. I can fake DOF with Photoshop, but I can't fake a great picture SOOC.

Thanks!
Sarah
Monroe, Louisiana

I am a long time Minolta owner.

Yes, both Sigma andTamron offer Sony/Minolta mount lenses. The mount is critical. You can't easily mount a Canon specific lens on a Sony body (or visa versa). The same is true for other brand combinations as well.

I am not a big fan of used lenses (or used anything else for that matter). Others are. Personal choice. Used AF Minolta lenses are an option... if you are willing to buy used. AF is critical. I have some really old Minolta lenses (early 80's from my film camera) I can sell you. They won't properly work on the newer digital bodies.

With your limited budget, you will be very hard pressed to buy top end lenses.... or even middle of the road lenses. A newTamron 17-50 is a rock solid lens which is great for akit replacementlens. And out of your budget range.

A used Minolta f/1.7 50mm prime lens is a good lens (I own a really old none AF copy). I hesitate to buy used, but that is your only option for this lens.

The Sony 70-300G is a fantastic long lens. It is also $850 (new).

Tamron's 75-300 inexpensive long lens is better than theSony kit long lens. So is the Sony 55-200 inexpensive zoom. Either of these is going to be $200 (give or take) and no where in the same league as the 70-300G. Yes, you really do get what you pay for.

Switching brands of camera bodies does not help your situation. Canon/Nikon etc better lens are as expensive or nearly as expensive or more expensive than the comparable Sony lenses.

Personally, I would buy the Tamron 17-50 when you can swing the $. The range is a little short, but the lens is fairly fast and the sharpness of the lens is about as you are going to get without spending 5 or even 10x as much.

Skip the fast prime for now and save up for the Tamron 17-50.

And then next year add the Tamron 75-300.

Two lens solution. Very good 17-50 and reasonable 75-300. Cheapest/bestest overall solution.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:39 PM   #10

A good walk-around lens, and very able kit lens replacement, is the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. It is faster andsharper than the kit 18-70 lens, and is also a reasonable macro lens as well. Adorama has it for $342, which is still more than your stated budget, but not by much. If you can sell the lenses you've got, that should more than make up the difference.

After that, I'd suggest a Minolta 50/1.7 ($100-$140) and a Tamron 70-300 Di LD ($160 at Adorama) which is much better than the Sony 75-300 you've got.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote