Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:46 PM   #1

As the Description says, Sony Style (meaning SONYUSA)is showing an increase on many Sonylenses. I did a spot check of a lens I have been considering to purchase and found Adorama and most other dealershad increased the price of the lensBUT B&H had the price at "last year's" price.

B&H had removed the free shipping offer, but who cares, UPS shipping is under $10 for a lens to my zip code.

I was hoping Sony was going to have a rebate/sale this spring. Alas my hopes were dashed.

If you are in the position to buy, I would buy NOW as $50 increaseon a $600 or $800 lens is substantial.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2009, 1:50 AM   #2

Sony Australia (that includes Sony Style Australia and Sony Central) have increased the prices on almost all items at the beginning of this year. Some retailers may still sell you the lens at old prices if they still have old stocks.

Allow me to show you some price increase examples.
Sony 70-300mm/F4.5-5.6 G (SAL70300G) was $1399 last year, and now it is $1799 (rrp).
Sony 35mm/F1.4 G (SAL25F14G) was $2499 last year, and now it is $3299 (rrp).
Sony GN58 Flash (HVLF58AM) was $699 last year, now it is $899 (rrp).
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:12 AM   #3
Administrator

You'll see the same thing starting from other manufacturers now, too. I've already seen others report increases in some of Sigma's lenses from some vendors, and I've seen others report that Canon is going to increase prices on many of their lenses this month (although I haven't seen any hard evidence of it yet, as I haven't tried to compare prices).

I think it's mostly due to exchange rates.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:14 AM   #4

We've seen price increases from Nikon and Canon earlier this year. The topic was copiously discussed in dpreview's always active forums. :-)

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
henryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Administrator

Nikon's pricing on their new D3x flagship model has been discussed at length there, too. That's a lot of money for a camera. :-)

Thom Hogan has been pretty vocal about it in some of his posts and writings, including in his D3x review at http://www.bythom.com/nikond3xcomments.htm

Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Administrator

IOW, it looks like the trend may be shifting so that Japanese manufacturers are selling less product at a higher profit margin, versus more product at a lower profit margin (or even at a loss, given current exchange rates and economic climate).

Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:59 AM   #7
Administrator

Henry:

As a large vendor, B&H is probably in a much better position than most to judge where pricing may go. So, please keep us posted with your thoughts on it as time permits.

Thanks.

Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:51 PM   #8

One would think that in bad economic times, companies would lower their prices in order to get their inventory moving. Should we conclude that the demand for digital photography equipment has not declined thus the increase in prices? If that's not the case, then I think they will experience a significant drop in consumer spending. Owners of old photographic equipment may benefit from this market situation big time and one should probably expect the demand for old lenses to go up on eBay (and consequently, prices as well).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote