Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:56 PM   #1
sbd

i have allways used filters, mostly to protect that hi dollar glass ,but now that ive gone digital iam in a whole new world , what do all the rest of use and how and why

thanks for putting up with the FNG sam in kansas
sbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:57 AM   #2

I have a CPL for my Beercan, but hardly use it. I have Digital UV filters for 3 of my lenses. My Sigma 90/2.8 Macro and Tamron 17-50/2.8 go naked.

Is that the kind of info you're looking for?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:23 AM   #3
sbd

yes sir just wanted to see what everyone was running, so i could make up a list for my glass, thank you

sam
sbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:03 AM   #4

One thing I have noticed is that there is no difference between a CPL and LPL as far as polarize filters go. I had some old LPL filters, which I tried and they performed just as good as the CPLs I have. I'm not convinced at all that cameras will AF faster with CPL filters than LPL for I never noticed any degradation in both IQ and the camera's ability to quickly lock focus. To me, this is just another marketing gimmick. If I need to buy a polirize filter, I go for the LPL and some some good $$$$. That's my 2c.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5

I have a UV protector on my Tamron 28 - 300mm because I shoot a lot in fires, smoke situations and around water and don't want to damage the lens. I also have a Circlular Polizer (?? Spelling) [CPL] that I can use on my 18 - 70 or 28 - 300mm lenses when needed especially around open water.

On Fuji S9100 which I used for 18 months I broke 2 filtera and never scratched the lens. I am some what ruff on my cameras due to my line of work being around fires, smoke, water, hoselines etc. The filters have over the years been a held not to have the lenses get scratched or broken.

Hope this helps........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote