Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 11, 2009, 5:59 PM   #1

Can anyone recommend any tricks or settings that should be done on the sony a300. i have seen some but i don't know if i should trust them. so far i have done things from here and i feel that this is a great forum. i know enough for black//white film, but this digital sony, i don't know. i thought about the paper back book that is recommended for this camera 19.99 i just dont know if i should. so i thought i would try here first....thank you for any help or tricks that you may offer.
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2009, 9:51 PM   #2

Sony has several on-line tutorials that you might want to try. Try Sony's Digital Photography 101.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:05 PM   #3

thank you. i saw alot of them before. but some are difficult to choose from. that is why i was asking here. but thanks again.. looking for a lens now to help some. price under 300.

Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:15 PM   #4

If possible for you I would suggest joining a local camera club.
There are a lot of bright people out there and club members are eager to help.
Furd
Furd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:36 AM   #5

Though I'm not familiar with them, I've heard good things about The Complete Guide to Sony's Alpha 300 and 350 Digital SLR Cameras by Gary Friedman,the Magic Lantern GuidesĀ®: SONY DSLR A300/A350 by Peter K. Burian, and the Sony Alpha DSLR-A300/A350 Digital Field Guide by Tom Bonner.

There are lots of lenses that can be had for $300 or less, and some are quite good. What are you looking for? What do you want totake photos of?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:49 PM   #6

portraits mainly.. some of my friends saw my b/w and want me to do there weddings. well half price then the other guy.. friends..lol. but mainly portraits and action. my son does diving and is quite good. so i want to be able to capture it.
i did the courses but i went to school for photography for a while. but now with the digital cam.. its a little different some. but i like this camera, but it stlll seams a little slow on the action settings. alot of the pics are still blurry. stil trying to get this right..
Old Apr 14, 2009, 1:52 PM   #7

portraits mainly.. some of my friends saw my b/w and want me to do there weddings. well half price then the other guy.. friends..lol. but mainly portraits and action. my son does diving and is quite good. so i want to be able to capture it.
i did the courses but i went to school for photography for a while. but now with the digital cam.. its a little different some. but i like this camera, but it stlll seams a little slow on the action settings. alot of the pics are still blurry. stil trying to get this right..:idea:
Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:07 PM   #8

lonefeather93 wrote:
Quote:
portraits mainly ...
50mm is a good focal length for environmental portraits and couples portraits, but for individuals, and especialy children, you'll want something longer. Unfortunately, between 50mm and 100mm, the Sony doesn't have a lot of options.

lonefeather93 wrote:
Quote:
... some of my friends saw my b/w and want me to do there weddings....
When someone asks you to shoot their wedding, I suggest you slowly back away, and when you can, hide your camera.

There's nothing more important than wedding photos, and you need to have all the right equipment and know how to use it. I hope you don't mind me saying so, but it sounds like you're not quite there.

Some time ago, afriend asked me to shoot her wedding. It did not go well. I still feel awkward around her.

Save your friendship. Pay for, or at least contribute to the cost ofa professional.

lonefeather93 wrote:
Quote:
... but mainly portraits and action. my son does diving and is quite good. so i want to be able to capture it.
i did the courses but i went to school for photography for a while. but now with the digital cam.. its a little different some. but i like this camera, but it stlll seams a little slow on the action settings. alot of the pics are still blurry. stil trying to get this right..
Sports require fast shutter speeds. It sounds like you're getting shutter speeds that are too slow. There are a number of different ways to address the problem, but without some samples, it's hard to get specific. Can you post some shots you've already taken?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 5:38 PM   #9

here is one.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:52 PM   #10

Hopefully not.