Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 13, 2009, 3:46 PM   #1

Is it possible to put a bayonet mount lens on an A100? I have a chance to pick up a 70-210 F4 (beercan) and a 50mm f1.7 very cheap. Is there an adapter ring or am I just dreaming? Thanks.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:12 PM   #2
Administrator

Are they Autofocus?

If they are Minolta AF lenses (a.k.a., Minolta A, Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha mount), then they'll work without any adapter on a Sony A100.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:18 PM   #3

Jim they are labled 50mm F1.7 MD Rokkor-X

& 70-210 f4 MD zoom I tried to mount them to my a100 but they don't fit, I don't think theyare AF becuase I didn't see any contacts. They were mounted on a Minolta XD-5 camera.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:36 PM   #4
Administrator

You'd need a MC/MD to Minolta A adapter to use Manual Focus lenses. Here's one at B&H:

Minolta MD lens to Maxxum Body adapter at bhphotovideo.com

Here's one with focus confirmation built in at gadgetinfity.com (a reputable hong kong based vendor):

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...t=0&page=1

These types of adapters typically have optics built in that are equivalent to using a 1.1x to 1.2x TC (in order to allow focus to infinity). The Quality of the optics used in these types of converters is going to vary. Unless you have a special like for these lenses, I'd go with newer AF lenses instead. Chances are, you'd get better quality lenses with better lens coatings, and fewer optical problems in the way of loss of contrast due to flare, etc. (and you'd have Autofocus, too).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:39 PM   #5

They aren't autofocus.

There are adapters for mounting MF lenses on Minolta Maxxum and Sony Alpha dLSRs, but you won't have autofocus or autoexposure. There are two types of adapters available. One contains optics that increase the focal length of the lens, like a teleconverter. The other doesn't, and so acts like an extension tube, significantly reducing your focusing distance.

I've tried one so I could use some of my old MF lenses and especially my bellows, but after using ita couple of times, I gave up and bought some used AF lenses. Unless you've got something special, I wouldn't bother.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:39 PM   #6

Thanks Jim, I think I will skip these lenses, by the time I buy an adapter, I could get one of the lenses with AF as you say. I figured it was to good to be true.