Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 21, 2009, 2:49 PM   #1

Hi,

New on here - this is probably a really stupid question, so pardon my ignorance, but I have a problem with my sony a200.

Basically when I take a picture the image captured is no longer matching the image I'm seeing in the viewfinder - the image captured is shifted down about 20% from the image in the viewfinder. i.e. if I line the top of the viewfinder on an object, the top of the object appears a fifth of the way down the image.

Apart from that the pictures appear fine and everything else seems to work.

Has anyone got any ideas what might be causing this? Has something inside the camera been knocked out of alignment (a mirror?) - and if so how would I go about fixing it.

Like I said sorry if it's a stupid question - I'm not an expert

Thanks

Gareth
garraban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:06 PM   #2
Administrator

When you say it's shifted down from what you see in the viewfinder, is the bottom portion of the image you're seeing in the viewfinder vanishing during playback, and are you capturing a portion of the image at it's top that's not visible in the viewfinder?

IOW, I'm just trying to see if perhaps you're seeing a reduced view versus a shifted view (which could be caused by not being close enough to the viewfinder, and more. You won't have a 100% view anyway through the viewfinder.

Also, are you sure your eyecup is installed correctly over it's groves (it pulls straight up to remove and presses straight down to install), so that it's not blocking a portion of the view you're seeing?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:21 PM   #3

Thanks for getting back to me

I don't think it's my distance from the viewfinder, or the viewfinder settings (I've just tried again and jammed my eye right into the viewfinder!, and taken the eyecup on and off) - the image is definitely not showing what was in the bottom 1/5 of the viewfinder, and also the top 1/5 of the image is from above what I can see in the viewfinder.

I've had the camera about a year and never noticed this before, so it does feel like something has shifted!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:57 PM   #4
Administrator

That doesn't sound good. You may have some type of alignment issue (CCD, mirror, focus screen, etc.).

Unless the camera was bumped in some manner, my guess would be the CCD alignment. I'd try turning the camera off and on, with and without stabilization enabled and see if it realigns itself before taking further steps (like sending it in for service/alignment).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 4:01 PM   #5

Thanks - that was my suspicion - it may have got a knock as I have just returned from vacation. Turning on and off and setting stabilisation on and off have had no impact

Off to the repair shop then....

Thanks for your help

Gareth
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:18 PM   #6

I had the exact same problem with my A700. I sent it off to the service center in Laredo, TX.

Was about a 2 week turn around time. Been working great since then.

Must be a fairly common problem.

I believe you can go to the Sony website and download a form to send in with the repair.

Good luck to you.

Robin
robintrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:22 PM   #7

Update

I found my post from last year. Here is a copy of it and the reply:

I'm having a little trouble framing the subject correctly. The picture I'm attaching was a snapshot I took in my garage that shows what I'm talking about.

The red ring on the shovel handle was framed exactly in the center of the frame. But now when I view it, the red ring is a little below center. This is a huge issue when taking photos. I have taken some full body pictures of my kids, and when I see the end result, their feet are missing from the photo.

Thanks for any help.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=84

And the reply from JimC follows:
I'd send it to Sony and let them fix it. Something is probably out of alignment (sensor, mirror, prism, etc.):

http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do

Use DSLRA700 as the model number.

robintrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:06 AM   #8

I've read in other forums about similar issues - it is not common. As Jim suggests it is the mirror or the sensor sub-frame that is out of alignment. I suspect the mirror if it is 1/5th of the image - that is a lot.

The sub-frame could be jammed at one extreme of its' range of movement - the range that is used by the in-body Steady Shot image stabilization.

One more thing to try is use the "Clean" mode from the main menu. It will give the sensor and it's sub-frame a much bigger shake than what the camera gets when you turn it on.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:47 AM   #9

Default i have th same problem!

i just took it to get it repaired ( a200) and they tol me it was a problem with the CMOS im so sad because i was going to sell it and now my ptofit is even less due to repairs
goldenfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:15 AM   #10

Default A300 off-center image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfall View Post
i just took it to get it repaired ( a200) and they tol me it was a problem with the CMOS im so sad because i was going to sell it and now my ptofit is even less due to repairs
Have exactly same issue with my 4 years old A300. Called Sony UK repair and it is 117+25P&P .
This is way too expensive than I expected. I would rather buy a used one from ebay.
iliko is offline   Reply With Quote