Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:33 PM   #1

I have the A700. I'm planning a trip to the Grand Canyon this summer and I'm hoping to purchase a lens that will improve my chances of taking some better landscape photos during my travels.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts about a used Minolta wide angle? The photoshop near me has a medium sized selection of used Minolta lenses, but I'm not familar enough with them to pick one out on my own.

Landscapes don't excite me the way wildlife does, but I'm willing to learn. (We're driving from Las Vegas into New Mexico and flying home from Amarillo, TX.)
bpearcy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:06 PM   #2

That's a tough question to answer. There's a lot to consider when traveling (especially when flying).

Many would say to go as wide as you can. That would probably work OK for the Grand Canyon.

Consider this. When using an ultra wide (10-20mm) If your not right on top of your subject your picture is going to have a lot of foreground and a lot of sky with a stripe through the middle of whatever your trying to capture. The canyon is so big I'm sure an ultra wide would be fine.

For traveling your not going to want to carry a lot of lenses. I would recommend 2 at the most. And keep them in a back pack or something you can carry on.

This sounds like the perfect situation for a Sony 18-250, wide enough for landscape and long enough for wildlife with good image quality.

Have a great trip and be sure to share your photo's

Mike
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:28 PM   #3

I'm thinking maybe I should stick with my 70 mm kit lens and try something like the panorama software.
bpearcy10 is offline   Reply With Quote