Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:17 AM   #1

Can anyone help please!!!

I would like to know will a Tamron 70-300 f4-5,6 Di LD macro lens-sont / minolta fit and work with my Sont Alpha A300 DSLR camera.

I am looking for a lens that is cheeper then a sony one

Many thank for your help

Kevin
Kevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:49 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the Forums.

Yes, it should work just fine, provided you buy the version for Minolta Maxxum/Sony Alpha mount cameras.

It's a popular choice in the budget 70-300mm zoom category, and actually tests a bit better compared to the Sony 75-300mm lens. Note that most of the budget 70-300mm lenses like these leave a bit to be desired on their longer 300mm end compared to more expensive lens models (for example, the Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G is a much higher quality lens). It all depends on what you want to shoot, the conditions you'll want to shoot in, and more.

You can also use any Minolta Autofocus lens ever made with your A300. For example, the Minolta 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO AF lens is a popular choice (just make sure to get the APO version of it, as it's a higher quality lens compared to the non-APO versions). It doesn't focus as close as the Tamron you're looking at, though.

Some good places to find used Minolta AF lenses are http://www.keh.com and http://www.bhphotovideo.com (and these vendors also sell new lenses like the Tamron you're considering).

BTW, we have a separate Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR Forum. For camera specific questions, that's your best bet for getting responses from other Sony Alpha users. So, I'll move this thread there for you now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Administrator

It looks like B&H (a very reputable vendor) has a pretty good price on that Tamron right now at $169.95 with free shipping:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5_6_Di_LD.html

Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:06 PM   #4

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your fast reply.

I can now look a round for a new lens, i will have a look at the two web addresses you have surggested.

Once again many thank for your help.

Kevin
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:09 PM   #5

You will be pleased to know that, not only is the Tamron less expensive than the Sony 75-300, it is also better.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:26 PM   #6

Hi Jim,

This is the lens i have been looking at, is this the right one?

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...mpaign=1013819

Kevin
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Administrator

Yes, that looks like the correct lens.

But, I'm not familiar with that vendor, and from the few comments I see at the bottom of this page, reputation is mixed (items not in stock mentioned, high shipping cost mentioned in one case).

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Warehouse_Express

Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:46 PM   #8

Ok thanks for that.

The web site you gave me BH, lens at $169.95 do you know what that is in £
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:56 PM   #9
Administrator

No, not without finding a currency converter (which are readily available online).

But, you'd need to take shipping (and the free shipping from B&H probably applies to the U.S. only), taxes/VAT, import duties, etc., into consideration if you're in Europe and buying from the U.S. So, you may be better of sticking to a local vendor for an item like that.

That warehouseexpress.com listing is a good price (for example, I see Jessops in the U.K. is getting £258.00 now). I'm just not familiar with that vendor (and I'm not going to know anything about most non-U.S. Vendors, since I'm in the U.S.).

Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:59 PM   #10

It seems, for some reason, that at Jessops the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is more expensive than the Sony 75-300. In the US, the Tamron is cheaper. B&H is in New York, so the shipping and customs charges might make up for the difference, but give it a try.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote