Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 3, 2009, 10:04 AM   #21

You might want to try http://www.focustestchart.com/to check for frontfocus/backfocus.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 12:21 PM   #22

Quote:
I'd also try it on a different body and see if you have the same symptoms
No thank you. I am not wasting any more time on the lens. That were enough "tests." I knew the lens was defective when I took first picture.
evilthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 3:08 PM   #23

I got it rid of 1.4.

TCav,

Since you have both Tamron 17-50 and Minolta 50mm 1.7, which one is sharper/better at 50mm?

I don'tsee much difference between 24-105 vs 50mm prime at 50mm. Yes it's faster (F1.7) but suffers from bad flare.

Old May 15, 2009, 1:40 PM   #24

I got a different copy of 50mm 1.4. The problem was obviously the lens, and not my camera (by the way, I did test the camera for back/front focus. No problems).

One of the following is 50mm F1.4 (@F5.6). Without looking at exif, can anyone tell which one and why?

(1)

Original:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2019/...72fae021_o.jpg

(2)

Original: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2430/...153e54a4_o.jpg
Old May 15, 2009, 2:54 PM   #25
conor

I'll take a stab and say that the slightly darker one is the zoom and the slightly brighter one is the prime (i discount the dark/light as without looking at the EXIF i can't if the shutter speeds match)

i found the fence lines straighter in the image thats slightly brighter, I think theres a slight pincushion in the darker one (though its hard to know if the fence is a bit crooked and and the distortion is "fixing" it without seeing the original fence)

If the shutter speeds are identical and they metered equally, I'd feel even more confident that the brighter image was the prime lens.

So, how'd I do?
Old May 15, 2009, 3:30 PM   #26

Right. First was 50mm prime and the second 24105D. Not much difference in sharpness though (at least in this picture).
Old May 15, 2009, 3:45 PM   #27
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilthought View Post
Right. First was 50mm prime and the second 24105D. Not much difference in sharpness though (at least in this picture).
at f5.6 shooting trees that may be moving, its hard to use sharpness as a deciding factor... though I did feel that the fence was sharper in the first, i held my tongue as it could have been related to how the lenses were focused.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:31 AM   #28

I am happy with Minolta 24-105D though (especially price). I found it brand new for $160. I think it's better than Sony's 16-105mm that I was planning to get.