Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 4, 2009, 11:04 AM   #1

Wondering how many shutter clicks I can expect to get on a Sony A200 before I should start to worry and/or look for replacemrnt and/or need to get it replaced or serviced.

I have shot close to 10,000 images with this camera since last October. No issues yet. Just that I have a few "high profile - very important" shooting assignments at the end of May - July and want to make sure everything will hold up and still be working fine. I have heard that some D-SLRs will only last to 30,000 clicks. Wondering if that number applies to the A200 or can the A200 last longer.

For those who would say get a second body as an insurance policy etc I am using a Fuji S9100 as my backup.

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2009, 2:04 AM   #2

I dont think you have to worry about it for awhile, unless you plan to take over 90,000 shots on your next assignments.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 9:42 AM   #3

My best educated guess is looking like I might take another 12,500 -- 15,000 by September. So far no issues with the Sony at all. 1 family wedding, high school graduation (which he is the biggest deal of the year), July4th Celebration, Carnival with Fireworks and a fire-rescue open house plus the usual work stuff I do with the camera.

dave
Old May 7, 2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Administrator

I wouldn't worry about it. This camera has not been around long enough for most users to have experienced any kind of shutter failure, and the sampling of data is too small to reach any conclusions on how long it might last.

Most Pro grade bodies now tend to have shutters tested to around 150,000 clicks. But, you can't expect that kind of durability from an entry level dSLR model selling for a fraction of the cost.

If you look at some of the user reports for shutter life for the A100, more than one user has reported more than 50K clicks so far.

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/sony_dslra100.htm

But, the number of users reporting is still too small to formulate any kind of assumption about shutter life. There is even less data available for the A200 (and Sony has refined the shutter and mirror mechanism in newer bodies). So, there's really no way to know what to expect from one. Chances are, most entry level models are not using shutter components designed to be as durable as the ones in a pro body. But, you still might get a large number of clicks before a failure.

If one failed after only 30K clicks, I still would't complain too much about reliability in an entry level dSLR using a mechanical shutter and mirror mechanism, since using more durable components increases costs, and most users buying an entry level dSLR model are not going to take that many photos before upgrading to a newer body.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 1:25 PM   #5

Jim as always you are man with the info. Very well explained. Hopefully my A200 won't go bad anytime due to shutter cycle/shutter failure. This is one area that I was not aware of when I bought my A200 (being an entry level camera). Thanks for the info.

dave