Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 4, 2009, 9:05 PM   #1

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I've got a Minolta 7D and I've decided to get back into photography and am thinking of getting a newer body to go with my Minolta lenses. I've noticed that the Sony A700 has gotten good reviews but has been out for awhile. Any idea as to when Sony will be coming out with an upgrade?

Thanks,
bpiraino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2009, 6:14 AM   #2

The A700 has been out for nearly two years, and that is long for a product life cycle in this industry. Sony has said there will be product announcements soon, and Sony has been showing prototypes of lenses for the Alpha dSLRs. A replacement for the A700 is likely.

The rumored replacement has a higher resolution image sensor, 'Live View', and a slower continuous shooting speed (4 fps instead of the A700's 5 fps.) Personally, I like the idea of the higher resolution, but am fearful that the 'Live View' will make the optical viewfinder smaller just as it does in the A300/A350, and am disappointed that the frame rate is getting slower instead of faster.

I'm looking forward to the announcement, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 10:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpiraino View Post
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I've got a Minolta 7D and I've decided to get back into photography and am thinking of getting a newer body to go with my Minolta lenses. I've noticed that the Sony A700 has gotten good reviews but has been out for awhile. Any idea as to when Sony will be coming out with an upgrade?

Thanks,
One rumour circulating the intertubes hints that May 15th will lift the NDA (non-disclosure date) about new products.

BUT, I have been told by an "authorative source" that the day after Twizzleday there will be a monster announcement including 91 new lenses and 7 bodies including a 64mb FF capable of shooting extremely high quality iso 52,000 for less than $500.

Considering May 15th is pretty close and my rumour seems pretty far fetched.... I would wait for a week or so and see what happens.

However, even if true, it could be 0 to 180 days after that date before the new camera actually hits the market. (usually 15-90 days). And the A700 might not be on the initial wave of new cameras hitting the market.

As old as the A700 may be, Sony could hold back the replacement of the A700 until the fall... sensor improvements, milking the market, adding a new lens to match the camera, changing the release cycle of products far off in the future etc.

In other words don't get your hopes up for an A700 replacement in the next few weeks or even months.

Oh, and the A700 might not be replaced. It is possible to release an additional camera to expand the product line rather than replacing the existing camera.

Personally, if there is nothing wrong with your camera, I would wait for a couple weeks/months to see how things shake out.

BUT, if you are like me (my KM5D died recently and I could not wait as I need the camera for business purposes), go ahead and jump on the A700. The A700 is a great camera (it really is) and any new camera is not going to be that big of an improvement that you are going to kick yourself next week.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 8:23 PM   #4

Hi TS,

There is a similar discussion for A700 replacement, kindly refer to the following forum's thread.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518737

HTH.

Cheers,
Vibranze
vibranze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 9:05 PM   #5

B&H has the entire selection of Sony A700 on either backorder or out of stock.

The backorders have no estimated date of arrival.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...t=Submit+Query

Yet the Sony Style Store indicates the Sony A700 is still in stock.

Other online vendors are indicating they still have the A700 in stock. The reliability of some of those vendors with regards to updating their websites is questionable.... but they can't all be lying.

The paranoid and conspiratorial can read what they want into the B&H stocking situation.

Personally, I suspect Twizzleday is closer than we think.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote