Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 13, 2009, 6:41 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonefeather93 View Post
... i have the factory 28-70 i think.
Just to make sure I understand what lenses you have... .Are you referring to the kit lens that Sony bundles with the A300 (i.e., Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT)? I assumed that's what you meant by '"factory", since Sony bundles that 18-70mm with some of it's cameras.

But, if your only zoom is starting out at 28mm (same angle of view you'd have using a 42mm lens on a 35mm camera), then you may need a wider lens (since you can only back up so far in some conditions, and I noticed you mentioned wanting something wider.

With a $200 budget, you wouldn't have a lot of choices in a zoom starting out that wide (so the Sigma 18-200mm may be one to consider in that case if you've found one at that price, as you're probably not going to see a lot of image quality differences between it and a Sony 18-70mm kit lens if you had to choose between them).

I'd let us know the exact lens you have for better suggestions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 6:53 PM   #12

well if i go up to 400. will that help. each lens i was looking at was 389.00 to 459.
i can go up to that but it would be a one purchace for this year..
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 7:19 PM   #13
Administrator

Do you have the 18-70mm now (that's what I'm trying to make sure of)?

If so, I wouldn't rush out to buy anything different until you have a better understanding of your needs. You could spend $2000 on a lens and it may not help anything. ;-)

The 18-70mm is not the greatest lens around. But, the lens may not be a problem, depending on what issues you're seeing. It sounds like you're just starting using the camera at this point. I'd take lots of photos and post some samples of images you're not happy with and let members take a look at what you may be able to do differently for better results. In good light, even an inexpensive kit lens can take decent photos if you stop down the aperture a bit..

There are pros and cons to any lens (focal range from wide to long, sharpness at various apertures and focal lengths, flare resistance, focus speed, size, weight and more).

You'll want to spend money on lenses that provide a good balance for the conditions you'll shoot in more often. Sometimes, a lens with more range to long is important for convenience. Sometimes a brighter lens may be a good idea, sacrificing some focal range (and/or putting up with more weight) to get it. No one lens is perfect for everything, and it will take you some time to figure out what areas your equipment is holding you back in.

I've got a number of lenses now, and the one I keep on my camera more often isn't the highest quality lens around. But, for me, it's a good compromise (taking size, weight, focal range and more into consideration). For someone else, a different lens may be better.

From everything I'm seeing from your posts so far, you're not really ready to decide what lenses may be best for your needs and could use a bit more experience with the ones you have now first. Any lens choice is going to be a compromise in one area or another. ;-)
Old May 15, 2009, 10:14 AM   #14

yes that is the one i have. yes i just got this camera, a300 but mainly i leave the 50mm minolta 1.7 on the camera and love the pics for indoor and outdoor.and i did sse the difference between that and the 18-70 factory. but it seams that i am always changing the lens around for different things. that is why i was wondering on getting the 18-50 sigma, or a tamaron lens. or a better 18-70 lens. this digital stuff is a little different then the film i was use too. so that is why i always read in here. i listen to all the good stuff and see about the bad stuff.
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 10:36 AM   #15
Administrator

The 18-70mm kit lens isn't really as bad as some users make it out to be. For it's price and focal range from wide to long, you'd be hard pressed to do any better. You can see over 1000 photos taken with it here:

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=1007

If you wanted a bit higher quality lens, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is a popular choice in a brighter lens. You can read a review of it here:

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-a...n_1750_28_sony

Or, if you wanted one with a bit more range from wide to long, the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 is a popular choice (although it's not as bright as the Tamron on it's longer end).. Here's a review of one on a Pentax body:

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/147-s...w--test-report

Of course, if budget isn't an issue, I'd also consider the Sony/Carl Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 (not as bright as some, but more range from wide to long than you'll find in a lens able to maintain f/2.8 like the Tamron 17-50mm I mentioned above). It's a "best in class" type of lens:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/47-s...w--test-report

But, frankly, I'd be hesitant to rush out and buy any new lenses until you've used the kit lens extensively and get a better feel for it's strengths and weaknesses. That way, you'd make better informed decisions on what may suit you better later (taking things like size, weight, brightness, focal range from wide to long and more into consideration). Again, there are pros and cons to any of them, and they're all a compromise in one area or another.

Chances are, your skill at using the equipment is the limiting factor right now, since you're new to using a dSLR. So, you may not see any improvement with a new lens.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:00 PM   #16

I think Jim is right on with his advice.

I own a lot of expensive lenses but some of my best photo's have been with the 18-70 kit lens, why? Because I go into the mountains hiking and fishing and camera weight and size are important. Photography takes a backseat to my reasons for being where I go.

The thing I would be looking for in your situation is to expand your range.

You can start improving your quality of lenses after you get range you need and you see what range you take most of your photo's in.

You can make a photo taken with the 18-70 look very good with some quick photoshop tweaks.

For a one lens solution the Sony 18-250 is a very good lens. There around $500 used. I just picked one up to keep on my old 5D (new backpack camera).
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote