Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 15, 2009, 1:46 PM   #1

Default beercan or Minolta 100-300 APO?

Is it worth trading the beercan (plus $80) for Minolta 100-300mm APO? You gain extra 90mm at the cost of constant F4. Moreover, the beercan has CA. Not sure about the sharpness difference.

Last edited by evilthought; May 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM.
evilthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2009, 3:50 PM   #2

The 100-300 APO is not a constant f/4 aperture. It starts off at f/4.5 at 100mm and ends up a full f-stop dimmer at f/5.6 at 300mm. But, opticaly, it's better than the Beercan.

What's important to you. The 210-300 range, the constant f/4.0 aperture, or less CA and more sharpness.

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 3:56 PM   #3

How do you know optically it's better than the beercan? Have you owned both? Any links to MTF chart?
Old May 15, 2009, 8:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilthought View Post
How do you know optically it's better than the beercan? Have you owned both? Any links to MTF chart?
People that have owned both, say the 100-300 APO is better than the Beercan. See the Dyxum.com User Reviews for the Minolta - AF 100-300 F4.5-5.6 D APO.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:51 PM   #5

Some time ago there was a lengthy discussion in this forum about the beercans - they were made for several years by different manufacturers in different years - some lenses were better than others (there was a list of serial numbers with manufacturers codes), so buying a used lens untried is more or less of a crap shoot. It also is a large and heavy lens - I don't know about the APO, but the regular 70-300 is smaller and lighter. IMO the beercan is a sort of cult lens - I bought one because of all the buzz, and I lucked out and got a good one, but I hardly ever use it, preferring to use the Sigma (and a recently acquired Tamron 18-250).. The Sigma APO has a good reputation, from what I have seen on these forums.

Last edited by penolta; May 16, 2009 at 8:56 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 12:33 AM   #6

I picked up a beercan cheap from local store that sells used stuff. It was definitely sharper than Sony's 75-300. I could sell it and buy APO.

As for dyxum reviews, the non-D version has pretty mixed (negative) reviews.
Old May 16, 2009, 4:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
... The Sigma APO has a good reputation, from what I have seen on these forums.
On Sony dSLRs, the Sigma 70-300 APO has a history of stripped autofocus gearing. This doesn't seem to affect other camera brands, however.
Old May 16, 2009, 4:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilthought View Post
As for dyxum reviews, the non-D version has pretty mixed (negative) reviews.
The non-D 100-300 APO (1993-2000) is opticaly identical to the D version (2000-2006). Few of the Dyxum User Reviews of the non-D version compare it to the Beercan, and most of those that do give the 100-300 APO the edge, some of which specifically comment of the small to nonexistant CA.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:08 AM   #9

Are we reading the same reviews?

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/....asp?IDLens=63
Old May 16, 2009, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Some time ago there was a lengthy discussion in this forum about the beercans - they were made for several years by different manufacturers in different years - some lenses were better than others (there was a list of serial numbers with manufacturers codes), so buying a used lens untried is more or less of a crap shoot. It also is a large and heavy lens - I don't know about the APO, but the regular 70-300 is smaller and lighter. IMO the beercan is a sort of cult lens - I bought one because of all the buzz, and I lucked out and got a good one, but I hardly ever use it, preferring to use the Sigma (and a recently acquired Tamron 18-250).. The Sigma APO has a good reputation, from what I have seen on these forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
On Sony dSLRs, the Sigma 70-300 APO has a history of stripped autofocus gearing. This doesn't seem to affect other camera brands, however.
I was referring to the optical quality of the APO only and not only in this mount- the non-APO version may not be quite as good, but I don't think has the same reputation for stripping gears. The Sigma I referred to that I use is the 28-300 that I prefer for its greater range, not the 70-300 - I should have been clear about that. From what I have seen the Tamron 70-300 is better than the Sigma non-APO, both optically and mechanically (although my experience with it is on Pentax only), especially in macro mode (some have problems with PF at the long end, although it hasn't troubled me much).

Last edited by penolta; May 16, 2009 at 8:56 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote