Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 16, 2009, 11:06 AM   #1

Default A200 + Sigma 24mm (pics)

It's been a while since I've posted anything here at Steve's. I haven't stopped taking pictures, on the contrary. I'm having a lot of fun with my Sony A200 (sold all my Oly equipment in favor of the Sony and could not be happier). A few months ago I started looking at the Minolta 50mm 1.7 (very popular on eBay these days). I actually bid on a few but lost the auction at the last minute. Thank God! I always thought that a 50mm lens on a camera with a 1.5 cropping factor was too tight and limiting. It would be a big mistake, I know I would not use it that much. Then I started looking at 24mm lenses and came across this Sigma super wide II f2.8. I had a Pentax mount once to go with my K100D, which I also sold a few years ago, and relly liked it. So, I decided to go ahead and get one for the A200. I could not be happier. The lens is very sharp, it's small and color reproduction is great. It also has macro capabilities, which is a big plus. Here are some shots taken with it.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2009, 2:17 PM   #2

"The lens is very sharp, it's small and color reproduction is great. It also has macro capabilities, which is a big plus. Here are some shots taken with it."

I shoulg say so! Very nice pics. You make a good case for owning that lens. Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 2:39 PM   #3
Administrator

I don't see too many people using that one. You tend to see the 24mm f/1.8 more often. It looks like it's doing a great job for you.

P.S.

It looks like the Sigma 24mm f/2.8 has a nice MTF chart, too (much better than most Sigmas). This is not the latest II version being tested. But, yours may be even better (and you don't care about anything past around 12 or 13mm from center anyway on an APS-C size sensor).

http://old.photodo.com/prod/lens/det...4_28-745.shtml
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 3:22 PM   #4

50mm is good for portraits though
evilthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 10:52 PM   #5

Thank you all for your comments...very much appreciated. My experience has been that most lenses produce soft images at f1.7 or below. So, I figured if I have to bump up a stop or two in order to get crisp images then might as well get the f2.8, which is much cheaper. I am very happy with this lens. Yes, I agree that a 50mm is good for portraits but that's about it. It's too tight for group shots and certainly not wide enough for landscape. I think the 24mm is a much more useful lens IMO.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:15 PM   #6

Here's another picture taken with the Sigma...
Attached Images