Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 16, 2009, 11:50 AM   #1

Default A200 + Tamron 28-300mm (pics)

I've always heard/read people say these types of "one size fits all" lenses were not good because they would degrade IQ, so on and so forth. Last year when I still had my Oly E520 along with some expensive Zuiko lenses, I faced a situation that really aggravated me. I was visiting the CA Gold Country (California Caverns to be more specific) and during one of the tours inside a cavern, I felt I needed to replace the 14-54mm lens with the 70-300mm so I could capture some far away rock formations. Well, that did not go too well at all. Trying to swap lenses while walking on narrow, slippery paths, following a tour guide and being followed by a crowed anxious to keep up with the guide, having to tuck my head down not to smack it against rocks, was challenging to say the least. In the end, I had to stop so I could do it properly, was told off by the guide because I was not supposed to stay too far behind, took the chance of getting something inside the camera or even worse, drop and destroy an expensive lens. At that point, I decided to just keep the WA on at all times. Boy, did I wish I had my Panasonic P&S 18x zoom instead of my Oly! So, for the Sony, I gave the Tamron 28-300mm xr di a try, despite all the bad comments about these lenses. Now, maybe my standards are not so high or I'm a bit more tolerant than many people but the fact is that I really like the lens. I find it very useful indeed. It takes great pictures both at WA and at 300mm and I have noticed virtually no softnes around the edges. A couple of weekends ago my wife and I went on a day trip to Monterey/Carmel. It's a beautiful costal area but usually very windy. The last thing one wants is to swap lenses under those conditions. It is almost guaranteed that sand will get into the camera and find its way to the sensor. So, the Tamron was a perfect solution. I had it all w/o having to swap lens once. Loved it!
Attached Images

Last edited by Tullio; May 16, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2009, 2:38 PM   #2
Administrator

We had a 19 page thread a while back, with members discussing this lens here (and other variations of it). Most members seem to like them:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...-km-5d-7d.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 8:41 PM   #3

G'day Tullio
Enjoyed both lots of your posted pictures. I am one of those who like to see pictures on threads and not just technical discussions.

I also have an A200 but my favourite lens is the Tamron 18 -250mm. This lens is praised in some circules but knocked in others. I love it
Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 11:01 PM   #4

Thanks for you comments, Jim and Fred. I really get great results with this lens. Now, I used to have the Tamron 28-200 Pentax mount. It was not the xr di version and I must say it did not perform on my K100 nearly as good as this lens does on the A200. I simply love the fact that I don't have to swap lenses (unless I want to shoot with the Sigma 24mm, which offers a bit more WA and macro). Here are some other pictures taken with the Tamron.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tullio; May 18, 2009 at 1:54 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote