Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 18, 2009, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
I for one do NOT welcome the card format change. I have a lot of CF cards at the moment, Sure SDHC cards are getting cheaper, but as soon as I upgrade I have to sheell out for new memory cards on the spot....... Wish Sony would still support CF cards. Well we will just have to wait till they introduce a new higher/pro level camera to see what happens.

Some people won't agree with me but if you have several very high capacity CF cards and another on order getting that in SDHC cards can be expensive to take all at once.

I do like the fact they are working on getting better lenses.

Guess I'll keep using my A200. TCav I was hoping for a lot more. I was hoping for a 14.2MP with CF slot 5fps shooting mode till camera memory card was full.

dave
Maybe now would be a good time for you to get another A200 body.

Oh. Wait. You can't just buy a body.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 12:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Another disturbing trend: When Sony replaced the A100 with the A200/A300/A350, they dropped the mirror lock-up and the DOF Preview. Instead of bringing back these 'Must Have' dSLR features, the new models also lack the AEL button. Alpha dSLRs are losing features. Is this the way things is supposed to go?
It appears to me that camera manufacturers are more and more turning their low end DSLRs into P&S Delux. They are eliminating features that are meaningless to P&S users (like DoF preview, which most P&S'ers don't know much about and neither do they care, AEL, etc.) and adding others such as video capability, reducing the body size, and so on. I personally see absolutely no reason to upgrade my A200 to the A230 (even if I could buy just the body).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 12:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
It appears to me that camera manufacturers are more and more turning their low end DSLRs into P&S Delux.
Sadly, I think you're correct. Not only that, the landscape is becoming as confusing as digicams. Used to be a manufacturer had at most 3 models - entry, mid level, top level. Now manufacturers have several DSLRs in each category making it more and more confusing to select a model.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 1:43 PM   #14

John G do you see CF cards going away in D-SLR type cameras and moving to SDHC or do you think for mid to top of the line D-SLRs that CF cards will remain?

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 1:46 PM   #15

Quote:
It appears to me that camera manufacturers are more and more turning their low end DSLRs into P&S Delux. They are eliminating features that are meaningless to P&S users (like DoF preview, which most P&S'ers don't know much about and neither do they care, AEL, etc.).
Not everyone wants a P&S but then again not everyone need 21MP or can afford a $2,000 f 2.8 lens. There needs to be some middle ground like an upgraded A200 which is not what the new cameras are at all.

dave
Old May 18, 2009, 2:40 PM   #16

Quote:
John G do you see CF cards going away in D-SLR type cameras and moving to SDHC or do you think for mid to top of the line D-SLRs that CF cards will remain?

dave
I really see them going away - which stinks because all my cards are CF. The knock on SD was they were too slow - they've gotten past that. They're smaller and take up less real estate than CF cards which makes them very advantageous. So unless we see another performance gap develop now that the image sizes are even bigger I see everything going to SDHC. But that's just my opinion - I'm not a circuitry geek.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 3:46 PM   #17

Thats for your insight and opinion. I have 4 CF cards and one more on order. Going to an SDHC camera will require me to get roughly 32GB of shootng memory to equal what I have now... I need at least 133x or extreme II type cards to keep up with continuous shooting when I use it.

dave
Old May 19, 2009, 10:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Thats for your insight and opinion. I have 4 CF cards and one more on order. Going to an SDHC camera will require me to get roughly 32GB of shootng memory to equal what I have now... I need at least 133x or extreme II type cards to keep up with continuous shooting when I use it.

dave
I can see your point. However, most DSLR owners these days have at least one P&S to go along with their DSLR gear and I don't believe there is any P&S out there which uses CF cards. I am in this situation and as a result, I have about 12 Gb of CF memory + 10 Gb of SD memory + 8 Gb of memory stick. It sucks. Even though I really like MS (they are faster than any other type IMO), only Sony cameras use them and since I have a Panasonic FZ28 (and thinking about buying the new ZS3 to carry with me at all times), I need SD cards as well. Sony could have implemented CF+MS or CF+SD or even CF+MS+SD and cover all basis. The old R1 and V series had duo memory slots for CF+MS cards.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 12:16 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Not everyone wants a P&S but then again not everyone need 21MP or can afford a $2,000 f 2.8 lens. There needs to be some middle ground like an upgraded A200 which is not what the new cameras are at all.
It's called the Sony A700. ;-)

Look at it from the manufacturer's point of view. The hottest (i.e., fastest growing) market niche right now is with the entry level dSLR models, and users want smaller and lighter cameras that are capable of taking better images than they got from their point and shoot models, especially at higher ISO speeds. So, Sony is giving them that.

Also, keep in mind that you've still got gaps in the product lineup, and you can't expect to get everything you want in the lowest priced entry level category. Note the "Designed for first time digital slr buyers" part of the press release. ;-)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/so..._alpha_pr.html

If Sony put everything an advanced amateur shooter wanted in their entry level offerings, then users would have no reason to upgrade to their more advanced models. You see other manufacturers doing the same thing.

Frankly, features like Depth of Field preview are rarely used, even by seasoned photographers, since the viewfinders you find in models with APS-C size sensors are just not accurate enough to judge Depth of Field with anyway. As for mirror lockup, Sony redesigned the shutter and mirror mechanisms in newer models so that they're smoother and quieter with less vibration, making mirror lockup a less important feature.

They even made the mirror mechanism faster at the same time beginning with the A200 (reducing blackout time between frames so that both you and the AF sensors can "see" better to track action). As for the AEL button, I suspect the feature is still there and settable via a menu option (and it's not exactly a frequently used feature by most shooters anyway). They're trying to make the camera small and light enough to use one handed, and you don't want too many controls getting in the way of that design goal. I've already seen reports from testers that the design is actually pretty nice, with the deeper design of the grip not pinching fingers as you get with some of the other manufacturer's models in this niche.

These cameras are designed for users moving up to a dSLR from a point and shoot model, and small and light is what seems to be selling in that market niche. Look at the brisk sales of the Nikon entry level models like the D40 as one example of that.

As time passes, I'd expect to see more dSLR models from Sony to start filling in more gaps in the lineup. They're the "new kid on the block" for this type of camera, and it will take time before you see those gaps filled (and I can't fault Sony for trying to attract first time dSLR buyers first). In the meantime, if you want a more advanced model, look at the A700. I've been quite happy with mine.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 4:36 PM   #20

Quote:
It appears to me that camera manufacturers are more and more turning their low end DSLRs into P&S Delux. They are eliminating features that are meaningless to P&S users (like DoF preview, which most P&S'ers don't know much about and neither do they care, AEL, etc.) and adding others such as video capability, reducing the body size, and so on. I personally see absolutely no reason to upgrade my A200 to the A230 (even if I could buy just the body).
If you read the manufacturer's descriptions on the web site and the press releases for the new cameras, the failure to provide a body only option and the removal of features most likely to be used by more advanced amateurs, it is obvious that these cameras are intended only for first time users transitioning from P&S, and not for those owners who desire a second body for backup or for a family member that can use their existing lenses. This may be poor strategy in this recessionary economy given the pricing structure of the kits, when other manufacturers are providing more capable cameras at lower prices. They thus may lose potential buyers who might have bought into their system and upgraded to better lenses and more capable bodies, and also risk alienating their own consumer base - brand loyalty is harder and harder to maintain in this ever-changing and increasingly competitive market. Their own new bridge camera, the DSLR-like DSC-HX1 may even prove to be the a200/300 series biggest competitor as the gap between these classes of camera continues to narrow!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote