Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:01 PM   #21

Just thought I'd post that the 230 and 330 models are now showing as "In Stock" on the SonyStyle website. The 380 still shows as a pre order but that may change soon. Still no manual in the support area though.
oman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:04 PM   #22

Default Camera purchases

It was only 12 months ago when I bought my A200 kit. This was (certainly in Australia) a new model and magazines were stating that a review would be available when they could get their hands on one.

I paid $1300 Australian. Within three months the price had dropped by $400.

The moral of the story. Don't buy the new models until the price has stabilised and competitors have forced a revalue.
Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:31 PM   #23

I always wait the be sure the new models are actually better, that's not always the case.
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:56 AM   #24

I'm hoping that by the time I am actually ready to buy (by the end of this month) they'll be some good hands on reviews. We're going on vacation and I wanna have a better camera in my possesion.

As far as price, the introductory prices doesn't seem that far out of whack from the older models. So I guess it's the price you pay if you want to get something when it's first coming out, but for the slight premium the benifits seem worth it.
oman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:32 AM   #25
Administrator

Yep. Early adopters of a new product usually pay a bit more. But, then again, you have to decide the value you'd get by having a camera to use, too. ;-)

There will always be a newer model just over the horizon, and supply and demand plus healthy competition will usually help pricing as time passes. But, if you wait around for prices to drop, you won't be enjoying the benefits of a new camera while waiting.

Lately, you sometimes see the opposite, with increasing prices on some lenses and camera bodies, depending on region, due economic conditions (yen rising against other currencies, etc.).

Personally, I bought my Sony A700 as soon as I could get my hands on one in September 2007 when it became available, paying full retail price for it. To me, it was worth it so that I'd have a better camera to use in tougher conditions, as compared to my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootneck3 View Post
...I paid $1300 Australian. Within three months the price had dropped by $400.

The moral of the story. Don't buy the new models until the price has stabilised and competitors have forced a revalue.
Fred
I experienced a similar situation last year when I bought the Olympus E520 right after it came out. In a matter of 2 weeks the price had dropped over $50. Luckily at that time, Amazon had a 30-day price adjustment policy and I was credited the difference. That was in August and by Xmas time, the price was already $100+ below the initial price. Now, I must say that Sony cameras hold up their prices much better than Oly but still, in less than 6 months prices usually are significantly lower. The thing is, that is a long wait. In fact, if you wait about 6 months, you are half way through its life cycle since Sony (and other manufacturers) is releasing new models every 12 months or so. Not only that, many people like to have the latest and greatest right away (and there is nothing wrong with that). Thus, the moral of the story as I see it is, if you are one of those people who must have the latest and greatest AND you have the $$$, go for it. If not, then it is smart to wait a few months not only for the price drop but to make sure the new model is better that the previous one, otherwise the update is absolutely pointless.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:11 AM   #27

Finally, I saw and touched those new α230, α330 and α380 in person at yesterday's PMA Australia (Sydney).

The body sort of feel better in my opinion.

Sony's new GPS device takes Memory Stick and SD cards directly (without the need of a PC), the new MacBook Pros (15-inch and 13-inch) come with built-in SD card reader.

It seems to me that if I bought the α380 (instead of α350 last year), I would have saved the trouble to launch Windows XP under Parallels Desktop for Mac to sync GPS data with my photos, as well as the possibility of not carrying a card reader. (I have previous Sony GPS tracker and MacBook Pro (early 2008 model)).
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:25 AM   #28
Administrator

I don't use a Mac, but if you dig around, you may be able to find software that can sync the GPS data for you without the need to run Windows.

There are a number of image management packages that have that ability now (and most of the GPS formats are similar or can be easily converted using utilities). I haven't looked at log files from Sony GPS units to see what format they use.

Here's one example of a cross platform utility under development that can sync photos with GPS logs

http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/

If that one doesn't support the log files from your GPS directly, here's a cross platform conversion utility you can try:

http://www.gpsbabel.org/
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:34 AM   #29
Administrator

P.S.

If you want to use Secure Digital media in your A350, you can get an adapter that lets you do that. Here's one example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t.html#reviews
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:14 PM   #30

The new cameras are not intended to be better, they are designed to be easier to use, aimed at a new market entirely.
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote