Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 18, 2009, 10:42 AM   #1

Default New a300 user...is this lens worth it?

I am a new Sony a300 owner. I am studying up on all this info but have come across a lens that I don't feel I know enough about to decide yes or no on.

Someone is selling a Maxxum 28-100 for $50. (good condition, no scratches, no mold) Is it worth it for me to get that lens in your opinion or should I just keep saving for better? Am I going to be able to do that much more with that lens than the one that came with my camera?

I photograph mostly children, families, church events, & scenery right now.

Thank you in advance.
s_u_n_s_h_i_n_e_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2009, 11:01 AM   #2

The Minolta 28-100mm f/3.5-5.6 D isn't a very good lens. See http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/....asp?IDLens=35

There are better lenses that are available for the same or maybe a little more money. What lens you should buy depends on what you shoot, on what lenses you already have, and on how satisfied you are with the results you're getting.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 11:25 AM   #3

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it!
I'm learning...I just want to know it all at once! LOL!
s_u_n_s_h_i_n_e_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 10:35 AM   #4

I don't know much about this lens but honestly, I don't see the point. You loose 10mm of WA over the kit and gain about 30mm at the long end, which in terms of zoom is not that much. So the question is, are you thinking about buying simply because of its price or you have a good technical reason for it? I would use the money to get a lens that would go to 200/250/300mm. Then you get some real benefit from it. Otherwise, it will be just another lens to carry around with limited use. That's my 2c.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 9:52 PM   #5

You have the 18-70 I presume? As Tullio said, with regard to the difference in focal length on the short and long end, I agree. The kit, while it gets a bad rap from those with better lenses, does a good job with good light, whether sun or strobe, and stopped down slightly. I have many excellent photos taken with the kit lens. The 28-100 is also a kit lens, with cheap plastic build and plastic lens mount(sound familiar?). That said the 28-100 gets mixed reviews at Dyxum, with the majority of users fairly happy with the lens, if not thrilled, and for a cheap price, would be a good buy if you actually needed it.

The Minolta 70-210 f/4.5-5.6 is an absolute piece of junk with the worst IQ of any of the three or so 70-210's made. To hear some talk about it you would have to be desperate to buy one. Here is a shot
from that lens

210mm f/10 1/100 sec

Is this a pro lens? Of course not. But I paid 15 dollars for it at a flea market. I am still thrilled with it, even though I don't use it much. I know it is capable of producing good images, as is the 28-100 I'm sure. Fifty dollars is not unreasonable, if you have a use for it. Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote