Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 19, 2009, 8:29 PM   #1

Default My A200 Not Working

I have used my Sony camera for two weeks straight without changing the lens. Today I used it and it had awful streaking and dirt that appeared that it was on sensor. I clean the lens front and back and reshot some. Same results. So I carefully cleaned the sensor.

When I attached the lens back and started to shoot it will take three images and then I get err on view finder and ERROR in big letters on back LCD screen. I checked the images it took and they are solid black.

I called Sony and told them what I did and what happened. They immediately told me I had voided the warranty by cleaning it myself. I was so pissed that I slammed the phone down. I called back and talked to another guy who said if I caused the damage by cleaning it that would not be covered by warranty. If I wanted to send it in they would look at it but if it was my fault they will fix it and bill me.

Well I am in a very bad situation as I have a major photo assignment this weekend and next weekend, both of them are paying well. I do have a Fuji S9100 as a backup but I feel the quality is not as good as my Sony A200 was and the client for next weekend is a big client and I need to give them the best possible photos afterwards. So I guess I am gonna have to buy another camera as they claim 2 to 3 weeks turn around at best.

Any ideas of anything I maybe able to do to fix this on my own.

I already tried different batteries and different memory cards

Looks like if I can't get it working tomorrow I will have to go locally and buy something.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2009, 9:00 PM   #2

Have you cleaned all the contacts on the lens and mount? Sounds like an electrical connection is not making properly. I'm no tech, but I would try cleaning the contacts with a microfiber cloth or whatever else others may know about. I really don't because I haven't had this problem yet (knock wood). Good luck.. Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 10:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I ran my lense cleaning cloth over the contacts.... reseated the lens and it is working PERFECTLY. I guess some of the lens cleaner got onto the contacts

THANKS A MILLION

dave
Old May 19, 2009, 10:03 PM   #4

I don't know who's happier, you or me!
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 10:06 PM   #5

I just saved buying another $500 camera so I am very very happy. Sometime sin rush of being mad we overlooking something as simple as this.

Thanks again

dave
Old May 20, 2009, 6:13 AM   #6

I'm very happy that this turned out ok.

With the new Sony A230 actually being less capable than the A200 you've got, and considering the position you're in, you might want to get that spare camera body soon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 8:16 AM   #7

Very good point.

That would give me a back up D-SLR and my Fuji S9100 to use. Since it seems that I am starting to get more photo work outside of my job it seems like the right time to do this

dave
Old May 20, 2009, 9:03 AM   #8
Administrator

Nah.... Get an A700 and use the A200 for backup. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 9:52 AM   #9

If you are in the photography business and the camera is your working tool, then having a spare is a must. With that said, lesson #1 we should all learn from your experience??? Never tell the manufacturer what you've done, specially if the warranty is still valid. Yes, it may sound dishonest but the fact is, manufacturers try to find whatever they can to void the warranty and not having to fix the unit for free. Lesson #2, always be very careful when performing a lens swap. Make sure you are in a sheltered place (no wind blowing), the camera is turned OFF, the lens you are going to attach to the camera has been properly cleaned and the camera is always facing down (dust particles fall from above and by having the camera facing down, you guarantee that nothing will lend inside). As for cleaning the sensor yourself, you must have a professional blower and follow the proper directions. Those $10 blowers won't work. Never, ever touch the mirror or you may cause focusing issues. IMO, the best thing to do if you get a lot of dust on the sensor is to to send the unit to the manufacturer for proper cleaning. I would not even trust a local camera shop (my old K100 got messed up by a local shop when they tried to clean its sensor). They will never admit that they did something that caused any problems. If (in this case) Sony mess it up, they will work on it until the issue is resolved.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 9:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Nah.... Get an A700 and use the A200 for backup. ;-)
Jim after some research its between the A350 and A700. Just that the A700 is over my budget and will require me to shift funds around to pay for it.....

But since your saying go with the A700 it must be the right answer

dave