Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 21, 2009, 3:19 PM   #1

Default New 330 vs. 300

Hi folks, newbie here.

I am in the process of trying to figure if I should wait for the 330 or if I should jump in and go for the 300. I read here that if you have a 300 the new feature set isn't really worth an upgrade, but if your buying new is the slight premium worth it?

I know the 330 has higher flash, updated GUI, supposedly they have also retooled the image processing.

What's won me over to the Sony alpha series is what you get for the price. Tilting screen with Live View and the way it's implemented, in body IS, and a few other things I can't think of right now. All these features can be had with the 300, but it would seem that for 50 bucks more you can have that and then some.

I hate that it has slowed down a bit from 3FPS to 2.5FPS but I can live with that. After all I'm coming from a Nikkon Coolpix 4100 which takes what seems like an eternity for me to be able to get the next pic.

I welcome all your suguesstions and advice.

Thanks
oman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2009, 4:05 PM   #2

The main difference is the switch from CF to SD cards, and the loss of the AEL button. Everything else is relatively unchanged.

Unless you are partial to brown and/or pink. Then it's a no-brainer.

Last edited by TCav; May 21, 2009 at 4:08 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 4:16 PM   #3
Administrator

The new 18-55mm lens appears to have better optical quality compared to the old 18-70mm from the tests I've seen of it so far (but, you don't get as much range from wide to long).

The A330 is also smaller and lighter compared to the A300. I'd try them out in a store and see what feels better to you
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 4:44 PM   #4

Thanks guys,

Not crazy about the looks of that brown version and definately not partial to pink. The plan is the black with white lettering for GUI.

I could have done without the 2 tone color as well, but that I can live with.

I'm hoping that the AEL may still be an option imbedded in the menu somewhere.

The SD cards would be convinient because my existing P&S uses SD cards so I already have a couple of those and they could be had for relatively cheap money.

I'm hoping they'll be in Best Buy come the beginning of June so I could do just that. I'm going on vacation the end of June early July so I'm gonna need to make my purchase before that so I can get used to the camera.

Last edited by oman321; May 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM.
Old May 22, 2009, 12:33 AM   #5

A330 is lighter and smaller than A300. Personally if I was deciding which one to get right now, I would've factored in the size/weight aspect.

Also, getting the newer model usually means you would be able to get new accessories. For example, this upcoming LCD Viewfinder Hood is stated to be compatible with A230, A330 and A380.

(Well, I hope it would compatible with A350.)
Old May 22, 2009, 9:05 AM   #6

Good point Antony about the accessories, thanks for the input. The weight issue is also a consideration as it would probably be a factor that will affect the Mrs. and her comfort level in using the camera.

I was noting that LCD hood, seemed like an interesting accessory but is it something that would really be necessary or do some of you find it difficult to use the LCD screen in bright sunny days.

One other thing I mentioned in the introduce yourself forum, their is a local college which offers a once a week 2 hour camera course for 8 weeks. Do you guys think something like that would be worth about $110.00 to learn how to get the most out of one's camera? I know part of it is to just get out there and snap away, especially now that film isn't a consideration, but DSLR's pack a lot features. Just thought I'd ask the opinion of seasoned enthusiasts and experts.

Thanks.

Last edited by oman321; May 22, 2009 at 9:09 AM.
Old May 22, 2009, 9:15 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
I'm hoping that the AEL may still be an option imbedded in the menu somewhere.
I haven't seen a user guide for one yet to tell.

But, if not, and you really need to lock exposure (for example, when taking multiple photos with the same exposure settings, or metering on a specific portion of the image before reframing and focusing), you could switch to manual exposure and take multiple photos with the same settings for aperture/shutter speed/iso speed.
Old May 22, 2009, 9:26 AM   #8

Cool, so a manual AEL of sorts. I'm sure I won't need it right away, but it would be great to have as an option as I grow in my use. I was trying to search the SonyStyle website to see if they posted the user guide in their support section but no luck as of the day before yesterday.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Administrator

Yes. You could just set the camera's mode dial to M for manual exposure. Point it where you want to meter from and set the aperture and shutter speed as desired, using the camera's metering scale as a guide. Then, take as many photos as you want to using those settings, even if you're reframing and refocusing. That wouldn't be as fast as having a dedicated button you could use in all modes. But, I'd be surprised if most dSLR owners would use an AE lock button very often anyway.
Old May 22, 2009, 1:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
...But, I'd be surprised if most dSLR owners would use an AE lock button very often anyway.
I do, specially when shooting under high contrast conditions. I usually use spot metering to obtain the correct light reading from the area I want to have it properly exposed then lock the exposure, recompose and shoot. I use this technique quite often.

As for the A300 vs. A330, if you are going to use lenses other than the kit lens, then the A300 may be a better choice. It's kit lens has a better range than the new one but it's mediocre (IMO). I don't know how much better (optically speaking) the new kit lens is over the old one but I want to believe that it is significantly better and if you are not buying other lenses to replace the kit AND you don't care for the AEL button (which I personally do), then the A330 may be a better choice.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote