Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 27, 2009, 5:43 AM   #1

Default Please help me with my minolta 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 " Big Beercan" lens

hello friends,
I have recently got an old minolta 75-300mm " BIG BEERCAN" lens. I have heard very good things about this lens but i have a problem. Whenever i shoot any picture with the lens only the center of the picture is sharp and the picture is blurred moving towards edge of picture. it is sharp at centre but disappointing everywhere except center.
Here is the picture taken with the lens.

if you can see the picture is in focus at center but as one moves away from center the image looks distorted.
I hope I have correctly explained the problem as I am new to photography I don't know the exact terms used to describe the situation.
Please help.
thanks in advance.
Satya.
satyajeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2009, 7:02 AM   #2

It's not just that the image is blurry as you move away from the center, it's that the image is blurry as you move to the left or right. As you move up or down from the center, it remains sharp.

I think that at least one lens element is out of alignment. The lens needs to be repaired and collimated.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 8:15 AM   #3

Thanks a lot sir for help.
I will take this lens to service center and will get it examined. I have seen the lens from mount side and i can see some moisture inside lens. is it possible that moisture causing such problem?

thanks

Satya.
Old May 27, 2009, 9:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyajeet View Post
... I have seen the lens from mount side and i can see some moisture inside lens. is it possible that moisture causing such problem?
No. That sounds like another problem. Where did you get this lens, and how long have you had it?
Old May 27, 2009, 9:26 AM   #5

I got this lens from a used camera shop a week back. I stay in Mumbai, India. here there are not many shops where I can find minolta lenses. there are very few lenses available ( I saw 5-6 lenses only) Since I am very new to SLR photography, I just gone by the reviews on net and bought this lens for $100. it was only after I downloaded the photos i saw the problem
Sir, Do you have any idea if this kind of problem can be repaired?
Old May 27, 2009, 10:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyajeet View Post
I got this lens from a used camera shop a week back. I stay in Mumbai, India. here there are not many shops where I can find minolta lenses. there are very few lenses available ( I saw 5-6 lenses only) Since I am very new to SLR photography, I just gone by the reviews on net and bought this lens for $100. it was only after I downloaded the photos i saw the problem
Sir, Do you have any idea if this kind of problem can be repaired?
$100 (US) is a very good price for a Big Beercan, and I'm certain that it can be repaired, but you might talk to the people in the camera shop. They might have another lens you could swap this one for.

You can check Dyxum.com for lens reviews.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:54 AM   #7

Thanks a lot sir for your kind words. So there is still some hope. I was totally dishearted after looking at the images. I will take this lens to th repair center. the guy is saying that he will do complete refitting and cleaning of the lens. As i dont have much options left i will be going for that as there is nothing much available in minolta. only 5-6 lenses after 3 days of survey of which 2 are with me other being 50mm f1.7 prime which is in excellent condition.

thanks.
satya
Old May 27, 2009, 11:48 AM   #8

The Minolta 50mm f/1.7 is also a fine lens, and I hope it works well for you.

You might also try http://www.eBay.in, though it seems for some reason that India doesn't list items available outside India. So you might try http://www.eBay.com as well.
Old May 28, 2009, 6:38 AM   #9

thanks sir. To day i took my lens to a local camera center for repair. he said he will do a complete refitting of the lens for me. Lets hope for the best.
Thanks you very much for all your advise.
satya
Old May 28, 2009, 7:52 AM   #10
Administrator

I don't know how much shipping and duties would run. But, both http://www.keh.com and http://www.bhphotovideo.com (both very reputable vendors) stock used Minolta AF lenses and ship internationally.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote