Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 29, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1

Default Question for A700 users.

When shooting for color accuracy such as skin color for portraits, colors of flowers, what creative style do you choose? Why?

Standard,
Neutral,
Vivid,
Adobe RGB?
+/- contrast,saturation,sharpness?
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Administrator

Creative Style Standard, Contrast -1, Sharpening and Saturation Normal.

More conservative settings can help to prevent issues like highlight clipping and lost shadow detail (which can be a problem if contrast is set too high); color bleed and channel clipping from increased saturation settings; sharpening artifacts, destroyed detail at edge transitions, halos and undesirable artifacts if sharpening is set too high, etc.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 12:07 PM   #3

Jim I would mostly agree with you on this. I've experimented with all settings and have come to the conclusion that neutral 0 0 0 is what gives the best accuracy for me. Neutral is even more conservative then standard and the immediate results seem very flat. I usually set sharpness to +2, but agree that any + sharpness is probably too much and that 0 sharpness is probably the best for the reasons you state.

Of course this is using cRAW and then pushing sharpness/contrast, saturation with editing program to desired results.

Last edited by lomitamike; May 29, 2009 at 3:21 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote